*Photo Updated May 2012
For my first post I decided to share one of my favorite recipes. My aunt showed me how to make this dish last summer when I was interning in Sydney, Australia. Unfortunately (for us in the US) the avocados over there are more flavorful, but what can you do. Either way the dish is worth trying. The flavors of the tomatoes, avocado and feta complement each other very well and most importantly dinner can be ready in under 30 minutes. And I love how this dish includes pasta, fish, vegetables and cheese all in one! Enjoy!
Orzo with Salmon, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Avocado and Feta
Start to Finish: 35-45 minutes
1 pound salmon fillet
8 oz orzo
1 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
1 1/4 cup cubed feta cheese in oil and spices (if you only have a block of feta, cut up into cubes and cover with olive oil and italian seasoning)
1 avocado cubed
3 teaspoons soy sauce divided
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Marinate salmon for 20 minutes – 1 hour in 2 teaspoons soy sauce, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper.
2. Cook orzo according to package directions, drain and set aside.
3. Pan fry or grill salmon on medium heat 4-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness).
4. Cut up cooked salmon into cubes or rectangular strips.
5. In a large bowl combine orzo, salmon, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, avocado.
6. Pour 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and a splash of lemon juice on top.
7. Mix and enjoy!
**(If mixture is too dry add some oil from sun-dried tomatoes)