So one of my favorite things to do is look through random food blogs for recipe ideas of my own. All that time that people spend looking at facebook pictures and reading status updates I spend reading recipes on food blogs. And sometimes I find really intriguing recipes that I just have to try. And so I came across these cucumber rolls which I thought looked great and sounded delicious. I’ve decided to see this as a pre-requisite to sushi roll making. I haven’t ventured there yet, but I figure if I can practice rolling some vegetables into a cucumber slice maybe I can take on sushi rolls someday too? Also I absolutely love tofu but never get to eat it anymore because my carnivorous boyfriend won’t eat it. tear tear. But I knew my parents and grandmother would appreciate this recipe and so I made it while I was home for Thanksgiving. I think it’s a great finger food/appetizer. It has a nice presentation, is healthy, light and low-cal.
Recipe type: Appetizer
Vegan, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Low Calorie Appetizer
- 1 long English cucumber
- ¾ avocado cut into rectangular strips same as tofu
- 5 baby carrots, julienned
- 5 radishes, julienned
- ½ red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4-5 oz tofu cut into rectangular strips 1 by 1½ inch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- olive oil for frying
- Ponzu sauce for dipping (or add lemon juice to gluten free tamari)
- Slice cucumber into long strips using mandolin slicer
- Combine sesame oil, rice vinegar, garlic, sugar, and ginger in a bowl and place carrots and radishes in this bowl to marinate
- Pan fry the tofu over medium heat until it is browned on both sides
- Drain marinade and pat dry carrots and radishes
- Place the cucumber slice in front of you and put a few pieces of carrots and radishes, then the red pepper, tofu, and avocado, each a little bit apart. Roll from one end while holding the filling with your other hand.
- Secure each roll with a toothpick.
- Serve with Ponzu sauce as a dipping sauce
Recipe Adapted from Madeline’s Adaptations
Serving size: 3 rolls Calories: 125
Share and Enjoy
If you enjoyed this article, join others and get free email updates!