Spice up a standard salad by serving it in Parmesan salad bowls, baked in the oven and molded to look like mini salad bowls. All your guests will be impressed.
This is another one of the ten dishes that I made for my mom’s birthday. I know I seriously went overboard with cooking for my moms birthday. There must have been at least 12 people over our house and I made every effort to get as many different dishes on the table as possible. Luckily my grandmother was there to be my sous chef and main kitchen helper. With the two of us working together this whole dinner was made possible and was fairly stress free – well outside of the moment when the cake lit on fire inside the oven and the fire alarm went off and the house filled up with smoke. Almost smooth sailing.
I found photos of this online and thought it would be interesting to serve salads in individual edible bowls made out of Parmesan cheese. Incredible right? We’re talking about shredded Parmesan cheese, baked in round and then formed into molds tro resemble mini salad bowls.
Is that creative cooking or what? Unfortunately I can’t take credit for this since I did see a picture online, but I can take credit for making my own and it being a hit! Aside from the fact that these were a hit and they tasted good, everyone loved the way they looked. They’re just kind of adorable right? And just look so enticing and friendly. Don’t you agree?
It’s really easy to make and looks far more interesting than a salad all jumbled up in a large bowl. In terms of dressing and ingredients you can really add anything you like. The thing is – you must use shredded Parmesan cheese! Not the finely grated powder stuff! And you must use parchment paper!
Those apparently are the tricks right there – shredded Parm and parchment. Something magical happens in the oven between those two. Next time I might try a different cheese – perhaps a hard Gruyere? Maybe I’ll mix the two. A gruyere and parmesan salad bowl? What do you think? Will it work?
I loved the delicate balance between the crispy cheese round mixed with the balsamic dressing salad greens topped with a tart dried cranberry and a candied pecan. Pretty much a winning salad combo right here.
And there’s really nothing to this recipe at all.
Impress all your dinner guests by serving salads in miniature sized Parmesan bowls instead of the regular
- 24 tablespoons shredded Parmesan (1.5 cups)
- spring mix
- olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixed together
- candied pecans
- dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a piece of parchment paper sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese to create a circular shape - you should be able to fit 6 of these mounds on 1 sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes, remove from oven and place each mound on some sort of mold - I used espresso cups turned upside down. By the time the Parmesan is cool it will have acquired the shape of the mold.
- Toss spring mix with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Fill Parmesan cups with mix, top with candied pecans and dried cranberries.