Thin Crust Pizza

340 Flares 340 Flares ×
Thin Crust Pizza

3 Ingredient Thin Crust Pizza without yeast – no need to wait at all for the dough to rise! Bet you’ve never had a pizza like this before – just sour cream, butter and flour for the dough.

Thin Crust Pizza
Since I recently confessed my love for Pizza Hut pizza I figured now would be as good a time as any to share my own (from scratch) pizza recipe.

This is actually my grandmother’s recipe – which she shared with me when I was 11. I have made this recipe hundreds of times over the years (ok maybe not hundreds – I have a terrible habit of over exaggerating) but in these past 11 years I’ve made it a lot.

The dough is unlike any other dough I have ever tried. I mean completely unlike any other pizza dough I’ve ever heard of. It is simply the best. No exaggeration there.

It’s really more of a pastry than a pizza dough, but it’s so good. And what I really love about it is that there is no yeast. I don’t like making pizza dough with yeast - because when I decide I want pizza – I want it within the hour – and have absolutely no patience for it to rise and fluff and all that. And with this pizza dough all you have to do is wait for it to bake – and I suppose that kind of waiting I’ll just have to bear. You can really add any toppings you like – I obviously added quite a few : )

Thin Crust Pizza

Photo Updated 2012

Original Photo

Thin Crust Pizza

Cook time

3 Ingredient Thin Crust Pizza without yeast - no need to wait at all for the dough to rise! Bet you've never had a pizza like this before - just sour cream, butter and flour for the dough.
Author:
Recipe type: Dinner
  • 2 sticks butter, melted
  • 1½ cups sour cream
  • 3¾ cup flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp bread crumbs
  • 4 tbsp ketchup (optional)
  • 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • pepperoni
  • turkey
  • broccoli
  • red pepper
  • onion
  • mushrooms
  • 10-12 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2-4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
  • oregano (optional)
  • sunflower oil
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix butter, sour cream and salt. Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Dough should be soft and slightly oily - should not stick to your fingers. (Do not add too much flour because dough will become tough). Split dough in half.
  2. Knead each piece of dough in your hands, adding a little more flour, and form each piece into a ball.
  3. Using sunflower oil grease 2 large cast iron pans (preferred) or pizza pans and sprinkle each one with 1 teaspoon flour and 1½ tablespoons breadcrumbs.
  4. Spread dough out over surface of pan and form the crust. Sprinkle dough with a little bit of breadcrumbs.
  5. Spread 2 tablespoons ketchup over each pizza (optional) then layer tomato slices side by side - completing covering the pizza. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and add desired toppings (except for pepperoni), then sprinkle with cheese and a dash of oregano (optional).
  7. Bake for another 35-50 minutes. 10 minutes before pizza is done top with pepperoni slices and put back in the oven to continue to bake.

Similar Posts To Thin Crust Pizza

340 Flares Pin It Share 337 Twitter 1 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Reddit 1 StumbleUpon 1 Buffer 0 340 Flares ×

Comments

1. Craftily Delicious says

This past weekend I made pizza too! I used the Trader Joe’s dough and although it did come out delicious, I’ve always wanted to make pizza from scratch. Like you, I don’t have the patience to wait for things to proof and rise, especially when it’s a pizza craving. I’m looking forward to trying your recipe, I’m sure it’ll be delicious!

2. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious says

Wow, your photos are awesome! And I totally love Pizza Hut too! Although I love that I can recreate this amazingness at home and have it be 1000000x better than Pizza Hut!

THanks! Yes definitely loving Pizza Cut and very much to my surprise here in China Pizza Hut is a full on restaurant – with menus resembling TGIF, Uno’s etc – so strange! Still a little bit pricy here but the pizza really was delicious!

3. Melissa Klotz says

What an interesting idea for the crust!! I’ll have to try this out, I always end up with leftover sour cream that I don’t know what to do with. This is a great way to use it up in a spontaneous pizza!

Definitely a great use for leftover sour cream! My problem is always the opposite. I always buy sour cream for the pizza and always forget that I have some leftover so I need more dip recipes I guess!

4. Charlie says

Hi!

This sounds great and I will definitely try it!

Can’t say I’ll use all your toppings (no ketchup and no cheddar) but hey, each to their own tastes!

Have a Joyful Day :~D
    Charlie

Hope you enjoy! Feel free to use your own favorite toppings! Trust me though you won’t even be able to tell there was any ketchup added! It all bakes away perfectly!

5. Izzy says

I use a pizza crust recipe with yeast which is just as quick as yours (“Robbie’s thin pizza crust”) – there is no rising time as it is a thin crust. Just flour, yeast, salt, sugar and water. You mix, knead for 2 minutes and it’s ready to go! Really easy and really good. Thought you might like to know.

Thanks for sharing the recipe Izzy — could you let me know the quantities for the ingredients too? I’d love to try your version of the thin crust pizza!

• Izzy says

It’s not technically MY recipe, you can find it if you search online for “Robbie’s Thin Pizza Crust” – that’s why I included that in my comment ;o)
        It calls for:
        .25 oz. pkt. active dry yeast
        1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
        3/4 cup 110 degree water
        1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
        1/2 tsp. salt
        -Dissolve yeast and sugar in water
        -In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
        -Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well with a heavy spoon.
        -Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
        -Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12″ circle.
        -Place dough on a lightly greased pizza pan and stretch dough to edges.
        -Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and desired toppings.
        -Bake in a 500 degree oven for 8-12 minutes, or until edges are golden.

I use a pizza stone and it always work out great. I actually make 2 pizzas out of that quantity. Hope you like it.

Thanks for sending along the recipe – I will definitely have to try it! Will be interesting to see how pizza cooks at 500 degrees — I’ve never used temp that high for pizza! After spending the last 2 months traveling through Asia my home made pizza cravings are getting out of control!

6. Karen says

I have to try this, it sounds so good! Is there possibly a baking step missing in the recipe before you put on the ketchup? It says bake “another” 35 to 50 min so I was confused about that

Hi Karen, Sorry about the confusion there. After step 5 it should say bake for 5-10 minutes and then remove from oven and add the additional toppings, then continue to bake for 35 minutes. Apologies for taking so long to get back to you!