This Gluten-free and vegan oven baked fries recipe is healthy and addictive. Crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. The perfect fry, without all the calories.
But we all know those deep fried potatoes are incredibly bad for you.
So sad — why are the best things always the worst for you : /
Obviously baked fries will never taste the same as deep fried ones, but they can still be pretty delicious. Especially when you cut the potato into fry shapes instead of wedge shapes – then you’re even closer to tricking your mind into thinking these are the real thing.
Oh and of course you must eat them with mayonnaise and/or sour cream. : )
I made these fries on Saturday when a friend was over and we set up 3 different dips for these slightly crispy yet soft inside snacks – wasabi mayonnaise (yum), sour cream (delicious) and mayonnaise mixed with ketchup and tobasco (absolutely divine).
I know many people who hate (yes I mean hate) mayonnaise and are grossed out by it – but I absolutely love it. How can it gross you out? It’s just eggs and oil — if those don’t gross you out separately then why do they gross you out when they’re combined?
I just know I could not live without mayonnaise – it really can be added to just about everything (I particularly love it as a marinade for the most tender oven roasted chicken ever) – maybe it’s a Russian thing…or maybe it’s just me… All I know is I wasn’t the only one double dipping each fry into the mayo ketchup tobasco mixture – my friend and D were there with me.
Recipe Adapted from Food.com
- 4 red potatoes, cut into fry like shapes (no peeling necessary!)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated (omit for dairy-free or vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and using cooking spray grease baking sheet or aluminum foil.
- Combine all ingredients, except potatoes, mixing well.
- Add potatoes and toss well until potatoes coated in spice mix.
- Place potatoes side by side on baking sheet, making sure none are overlapping.
- Bake 35 minutes, flipping potatoes over after 15-20 mins.
- **Serve with mayonnaise ketchup tobasco mix and sour cream
- **To get them super crispy bake at 400 degree F for 20 mins and then up the temperature to 450 degrees F for the last 15 minutes.