When I go grocery shopping I always buy zucchini. And then I frequently forgot about it, it ends up hidden somewhere at the bottom of the fridge – and it goes bad.
Which is such a shame not only because wasting food is terrible but because there are so many awesome zucchini recipes I could have made, including a creamy zucchini soup, chickpea and zucchini burgers, ratatouille with zucchini and white beans, or endless others.
So it really is no excuse to let zucchini of all things go bad – (don’t even get me started on how often I buy a bunch of parsley/cilantro and have to throw the whole bag away). This weekend I was not about to let that happen though.
This past Saturday morning – well ok it was more like the afternoon by the time I got up – I did spot one remaining zucchini in the fridge – before it had a chance to go bad. So I figured latkes would make a fine breakfast. They’re so easy to make – you don’t even need a formal recipe – I just made mine up as I went along, but I did write it down so it would be easier to share. The best part is – they’re great with sour cream!
With all the shredded zucchini in there you end up with a moist and not super heavy latke, a refreshing take on the traditional potato heavy latke. With a cup of shredded mozzarella added in as well the result is cheesy and creamy as well.
I love a good hot breakfast, especially when it is comforting just like I find a latke to be. Brings me back to summers spent in Russia when my grandmother and I would constantly be whipping up all sorts of delicious dishes at any times of day, starting with breakfast. We would always try to do something different, from fried eggs, to crepes, to exotic Russian specialties – and a potato latke was in the mix as well.
Back home though I decided to further adapt the recipe with zucchini and mozzarella added into the mix. Not a bad move at all.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 small zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 2 eggs
- ⅔-1 cup flour, divided (use gluten-free flour for gluten-free version)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- vegetable oil
- sour cream
- In a bowl combine shredded zucchini, ½ cup flour, 1 egg and ½ cup cheese. In separate bowl do the same for the potato. Add salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat and using a ladle scoop out each mixture separately and add to the pan. Cook until lightly browned then flip and cook on other side.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.