When I go grocery shopping I always buy zucchini. And then I frequently forgot about it, it ends up hidden somewhere at the bottom of the fridge – and it goes bad.
Which is such a shame not only because wasting food is terrible but because there are so many awesome zucchini recipes I could have made, including a creamy zucchini soup, chickpea and zucchini burgers, ratatouille with zucchini and white beans, or endless others.
So it really is no excuse to let zucchini of all things go bad – (don’t even get me started on how often I buy a bunch of parsley/cilantro and have to throw the whole bag away). This weekend I was not about to let that happen though.
This past Saturday morning – well ok it was more like the afternoon by the time I got up – I did spot one remaining zucchini in the fridge – before it had a chance to go bad. So I figured latkes would make a fine breakfast. They’re so easy to make – you don’t even need a formal recipe – I just made mine up as I went along, but I did write it down so it would be easier to share. The best part is – they’re great with sour cream!
- 2 potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 small zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 2 eggs
- ⅔-1 cup flour, divided (use gluten-free flour for gluten-free version)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- vegetable oil
- sour cream
- In a bowl combine shredded zucchini, ½ cup flour, 1 egg and ½ cup cheese. In separate bowl do the same for the potato. Add salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat and using a ladle scoop out each mixture separately and add to the pan. Cook until lightly browned then flip and cook on other side.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.