I’ve been seeing all these kale recipes lately and decided it was finally time I give it a whirl. I had never tried it before, for some reason fearing it might taste like licorice (fennel), which I loathe. Thankfully it tastes nothing like it, and is actually pretty good. My first attempt was at kale chips – which weren’t too bad but I think they’d be better with the curly kale (as opposed to the fan like dinosaur kale I bought). So with the remainder I settled on this soup. Quick and easy to make, light, healthy and delicious.
Kale, White Bean and Tomato Soup Recipe Adapted from Bev Cooks Serves: 2-4 Start to Finish: 35 minutes
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- several dinosaur kale leaves, stem removed, sliced into ribbons
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 1 tomato, grated
- 15 oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- optional - freshly grated/shaved Parmesan (omit if vegan)
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 3-4 minutes then add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add kale, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken/vegetable broth and beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. (Optional - serve with freshly shaved/grated Parmesan).