After a long week finally Friday has rolled around, and what better way to bring in the weekend than with a healthy, simple vegan recipe (or go straight for the crab rangoon if that’s how you celebrate cubicle freedom). After preparing my quinoa with artichokes and asparagus recipe several times in the last couple of weeks I wanted to branch out to other quinoa combinations. This recipe is just as good – or better – according to D.
Although I don’t know how much we can trust his food critiques considering he quickly blurted out that this time the quinoa tasted different but he couldn’t figure out what I had changed. Well I simply replaced the artichokes, asparagus, kale, walnuts and parmesan, with corn, lime, black beans, cumin, and red wine vinegar - but that’s it (cue sarcasm). In fact the only ingredients the two recipes have in common are quinoa and vegetable broth. I need to get myself some new taste testers. Any volunteers?
Anyhow, to those of you with more refined taste buds you’ll notice the contrast between the two recipes. I’d go as far as to say this one has more of a Mexican flair as opposed to the other one being closer to Italian in flavor combinations. Either way both recipes make for a quick meal fix, that keeps well for days and can be heated or served cold.
- 2 cups uncooked organic pre-rinsed quinoa
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 can black corn, rinsed and drained.
- 4 ears of corn
- bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- Combine quinoa and broth in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, cover and let sit for another 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork once more.
- Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and over medium heat cook corn, turning occasionally until lightly charred. Using a knife slice corn kernels off the cob and place in a large bowl.
- To large bowl add black beans, lime juice, zest, salt pepper, cilantro, cumin and red wine vinegar. Add cooked quinoa and olive oi. Stir until combined. Serve hot or cold.