Since I’ve titled my food blog Avocado Pesto I’m making it a new priority to share more pesto recipes on here. I make different kinds of pesto all the time – usually just tossing handful and dashes of ingredients into the food processor. This time though, with pen and pad in hand I was ready to document both the ingredients and the quantities.
I didn’t start to fully appreciate pesto until college – when one of my roommates introduced me to the joys of home made pesto for the first time. Sure I had had it before – but only out of jar filled with who knows how many additives and preservatives and then simply tossed with pasta.
Little did I know there was a whole pesto world out there I was missing out on. Now I eat it with hard boiled eggs for breakfast, spread onto sandwiches for lunch and mixed in with chicken or seafood either baked on pan fried for dinner. The possibilities are endless. Never fear – for those of you who are dairy free or vegan this pesto doesn’t have a shred of animal products. For the cheese connoisseurs out there I promise with this pesto you won’t even miss the lack of Parmesan.
- ½ cup + 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 ounces basil
- ½-1 ounce baby spinach (1 large handful)
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- To food processor add all ingredients except for olive oil.
- Turn processor to high and add olive oil through feed chute in a slow steady stream. Start with ½ cup and add more olive oil until pesto reaches desired consistency.