Well after a long weekend of family fun in NJ- bbqing, lounging by the pool, pool jumping contests, building human pyramids, ping pong tournaments, walking around NY and having food and drinks at the Russian Vodka Room (how appropriate right?) it’s Monday and back to work in DC.
On my long bus ride back last night I decided to take some nyquil, mistakenly thinking I’d drift into a deep slumber on the bus to be continued in the comforts of my king size bed at home and wake up feeling refreshed. Well, instead I slept on and off on the bus, seriously debating whether my sweatshirt would best serve as a pillow or as clothing to shield myself from the ferocious air conditioning blowing throwing the vents. Half way into the ride I had to accept the neck cricks and warm myself up.
This morning instead of rising feeling refreshed, it took 6 snoozes to get me up and I still feel like I’ve been shot with a tranquilizer gun. Not fully conscious, yet certainly not asleep, I seem to be in zombie land, barely able to function properly. Thanks for nothing nyquil. You’ve really let me down this time.
To top it all off, I’m hungry too. With a less than appealing bruised banana, a handful of Kellogs flakes and cashews for breakfast, I’m not exactly nourished and energized for the day either. I know what’s in store for me for lunch today – a blah salad I threw some chickpeas and sun-dried tomatoes on in a desperate plea to jazz it up a bit.
Instead though, I’m going to pretend I have this okra, tomatoes and bacon saute waiting for me in the fridge. I made this last Thursday and it was delicious. I’ve heard the tales of okra being slimy and unpleasant to eat and that always deterred me from experimenting with it myself. When I received a full bag of farm fresh okra in my latest From the Farmer delivery there was no turning away from it. The verdict – not slimy at all, and pairs perfectly with tomatoes and bacon. I think I’ll have to add okra to my next shopping list for sure.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3-4 cups okra, washed, trimmed anf sliced ½ inch thick
- ½ large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch wedges
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼-1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt, pepper to taste
- Over medium heat cook bacon in a pan. Once crispy remove bacon from pan, but leaving the bacon grease.
- Add okra to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and add tomatoes.
- Cook, covered 2-3 minutes. Add heavy cream, mix and continue to cook 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in the crumbled bacon bits and serve.