Last Thursday I received my third From the Farmer DC Delivery. They always deliver the baskets between 4 and 7am so I giddily wake up for work, rush to the front door and unpack the basket of goodies, all excited to see what fresh fruits and veggies are in store for me. Kind of like a child on Christmas morning, I actually jump out of bed on Thursdays, not needing the 4 alarms I usually set to drag myself out of bed.
This week I got:
- 3 peaches
- 3 nectarines
- a basket of yellow squash
- a basket of new potatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 candy onions
- 1 melon
- 5 hot peppers
- 1 loaf tomato rosemary boule
Hmmm what to make with everything… Since I had a fresh batch of pesto in the fridge I wanted to incorporate that into the meal. What goes well with pesto? Squash? Why not. Let’s give it a shot. So I settled on a baked squash and tomato gratin with pesto and gruyere. Who knew those 4 would become such great friends? I couldn’t have been more pleased with the finished dish. The flavors blended together perfectly and each complemented the next. A match made in heaven? For sure.
A gratin with summer flavors of squash and tomatoes, brushed with pesto and sprinkled with gruyere.
15 minsPrep Time
45 minsCook Time
- 2 large yellow summer squash (or several small summer squash)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a baking dish with pesto.
- Slice the squash and tomatoes into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Add tomatoes and squash to baking dish in a single layer, slightly overlapping.
- Brush the tops of the vegetables with pesto. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with shredded gruyere.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the juices are bubbling and the cheese has started to brown. Broil for a couple of minutes if you want the cheese crispier.
On another note I’d like to announce the winner for the Kitchen Scale Giveaway hosted by SlimKicker. Alexa with a “pullup challenge” as her diet fitness idea – “buy a pullup bar and put it in every doorway in ur house. Then do a pullup everytime u pass the doorway” is the winner!