Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms and Asian Flavors {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

1.4K Flares 1.4K Flares ×
Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms and Asian Flavors {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

Quinoa with Mushrooms and Asian Flavors

25 vegan and gluten free recipes

Get My Weekly Meal Plan Plus My FREE GF/DF Avocado Recipes Ebook.

This quinoa with mushrooms and asian flavors has quickly become one of my new favorite recipes.

My relationship with quinoa got off to a rocky start last year but once I gave it another chance and cooked it correctly I was hooked. And I mean seriously obsessed. Like best buds for life.

High in protein and gluten free, quinoa is way healthier than white rice/pasta so you don’t even need to feel bad about grabbing seconds (or even thirds). And you know I can never stop myself with just one dinner serving. I need a solid slap on the wrists to prevent me from going for seconds, thirds, or sometimes even fourths (especially when quinoa is present)

This recipe is adapted from  How Sweet Eat Is, though I can’t take credit for the adaptations. My brilliant mom turned the recipe vegan friendly by substituting mushrooms for the chicken in the original recipe. Not just one type of mushrooms, but baby bella, shiitake and oyster.  The finished product is just oozing Asian flavors while reminding you that vegan/gluten free food can in fact be delicious. Don’t believe me when I say it’s actually better without the chicken? Try it both ways yourself and let me know which you prefer. : ) Vegan Quinoa with Mushrooms

What are your thoughts on quinoa? Love it or hate it? Any favorite recipes?

Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms and Asian Flavors

Cook time

A vegan gluten free meal with mushrooms in place of the chicken - you won't even miss it!
Recipe type: Dinner
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 3.5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
  • 4 ounces sliced oyster mushrooms
  • 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 6 green onions, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • For the dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari
  1. Heat a pot over medium heat and add ½ tablespoon of sesame oil. Add 3 cloves minced garlic and quinoa and stir to combine, then cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is lightly toasted.
  2. Add in broth, increase heat to high, bringing to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minute or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
  3. In a separate pan heat ½ tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and add shiitakes. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally then remove.
  4. To the pan add another ½ tablespoon olive oil and add oyster mushrooms, cook for a few minutes. Remove.
  5. To the pan add another ½ tablespoon olive oil and add baby bella mushrooms and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 clove minced garlic and continue to cook with the mushrooms 1 minute. Add all the other mushrooms to the pan to combine.
  6. Whisk dressing in separate bowl.
  7. Combine mushrooms, quinoa, dressing, and green onions. Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.

1.4K Flares Pin It Share 1.3K Twitter 22 Facebook 57 Google+ 2 Reddit 1 StumbleUpon 5 Buffer 0 1.4K Flares ×

Comments

1. Natasha says

Quinoa wasn’t something I took to immediately either, but I have definitely grown to love it! My boyfriend is usually in charge of the savory side of our meals and has gotten quite good with Asian flavors, so we’ll definitely try this quinoa soon. It sounds delicious!

The first time I tried it I think I wayyy over cooked it because it came out super mushy and just blah. I really think toasting the quinoa with garlic before adding in the broth makes a big difference and adds more flavor while allowing each grain to pop more. That’s awesome that your boyfriend cooks the meals – mine just does the clean up, so I’m in charge of both sweet and savory cooking!

2. Heidi @ Food Doodles says

Mmm, this looks good! Love the idea of toasting the quinoa, I don’t think I’ve ever done that(even though I do it with rice all the time!) Must try that :)

3. Vicky says

Thanks! I highly recommend toasting the quinoa – I think it helps it cook better and definitely enhances the flavor!

4. roz says

i’m new to cooking with the ever so healthy quinoa and i adore asian flavors so this is a must try recipe for me. now following you and hopefully you’ll stop over my just transferred to WP Thesis platform blog and let me know what you think. it was a big move and i’m trying to rebuild my readership. keep up the great blog!

This recipe really brings out the nutty flavor in quinoa by toasting it which also helps it cook properly and have the right texture. Let me know how you like it if you try it! Just checked out your blog – love the clean modern design! I know how it feels to redesign a food blog and think it looks great!

5. Kari@Loaves and Dishes says

I did love quinoa the first time I tried it. Love that slightly, nutty flavor, and I even make it as a breakfast cereal. Mushrooms and sesame, yum.

Quinoa as a breakfast cereal? I’m intrigued! Will have to look into that — I always thought of it as more a dinner meal and an alternative to rice/pasta/couscous etc.

Thanks so much! I’m not Asian but definitely am a huge fan of all Asian foods and flavors! Can’t get enough!

6. Ema says

I just made this for dinner and it is delicious. I have cooked quinoa quite a few times but never loved it, but I’ve persisted with it because I know it is good for me. This recipe actually made me love quinoa! Thank you :)

I am so happy that you loved this dish! Am definitely going to share this with my mom – I know she’ll be flattered as well! I know what you mean about quinoa – it takes a little while to get used to it and I think you just need to find your preferred cooking method with it!