To switch it up a little bit from the few Asian themed recipes I posted recently today I’m sharing a quinoa recipe. I fell in love with quinoa earlier this year and used to cook it at least once a week. It will definitely be one of the foods I will miss while I’m frolicking around Asia for the next year. As one of the last quinoa recipes I prepared in my DC apartment this is a keeper. Who knew pesto and quinoa would make for a great match? They do indeed though. I added corn, onion, and cherry tomatoes into the mix as well, along with freshly sprinkled basil.
A delicious vegan, and gluten free dinner meal – ready in under 40 minutes. Healthy too. What more could you ask for?
A vegan, gluten free easy to make dinner meal! Healthy AND delicious!
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons vegan pesto
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 ears corn on the cob, sliced off the cob
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh basil, slivered
- In a pot heat half the olive oil and add garlic and quinoa. Cook, stirring frequently until quinoa is lightly toasted, 3-4 minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked through. Add 2 tablespoons pesto to the quinoa and mix.
- In a saucepan heat remaining oil and butter over medium heat and add onions. Cook 2-3 minutes and then add corn, Continue to cook 3-4 minutes and then add cherry tomatoes. Cook 3-4 minutes and then add remaining pesto. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss quinoa with pesto mix and serve hot or cold. Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired.