Mushrooms are delicious. Though not my favorite vegetable they rank pretty high up there and as much as I love them grilled on vegetable kebabs during the non-summer months I have to find a different way to make use of them. And so it’s a good thing my mom came up with this awesome and painfully simple mushroom saute recipe. Toss a few different kinds of mushrooms together after sauteeing them, a squeeze of garlic, a dash of red pepper flakes and voila a side dish is complete. I actually could probably eat an entire plate of this but it’s too bad mushrooms completely shrivel up after cooking and 1 pound of mushrooms doesn’t look like much anymore. For a vegan and gluten free starter or side give these mushrooms a try. Feel free to spice these up with more herbs or flavored oils – but I like mine simple, and these are just right.
A simple mushroom saute that is healthy, vegan and gluten free
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3.5 ounces shiiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce (or gluten free tamari)
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in saute pan. Add sliced shiitake and cook for a few minutes. Remove.
- In same pan heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add oyster mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes. Remove.
- In the same pan heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add baby bella mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally 4-5 minutes then add garlic and reserved mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, tossing ocassionally.
- Add red pepper flakes and soy sauce. Mix. Serve as a side dish or appetizer.