I’m always looking for a good home made stir fry sauce. You can always take the shortcut and buy a bottled or packaged sauce but where’s the sense of culinary adventure in that? Sometimes I just add a splash of soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin or rice vinegar etc, but it doesn’t give you that thick consistency which completely coats all the toppings and bring a strong flavor. So it was finally time I come up with something and this sauce I truly love now. So easy to make and with the cornstarch you can get it as thick as you want it instantly. Who ever though of adding cornstarch to thicken liquids was brilliant. Just throw the ingredients into a saucepan, bring to a boil, add the cornstarch water mix and simmer on low heat for a few minutes and the sauce is ready. The stir fry itself takes almost as little time as the sauce. With shrimp cooking in minutes the whole dish is ready in 30 minutes or less – depending on how quickly you can get through the prep work. A simple Asian inspired meal for a busy weeknight.
A simple shrimp and broccoli stir fry
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled
- 1 pound broccoli,
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 scallions, cut into one inch sections
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a wok over medium-high heat heat vegetable and sesame oil together. When hot but not smoking add broccoli. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add shrimp, garlic, red pepper flakes and ginger. Cook, tossing occasionally until shrimp is cooked through (4-5 minutes).
- In a separate pot add broth, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and garlic. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. In a separate bowl mix water and cornstarch until smooth. Add mixture to the sauce and mix until smooth. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer until sauce has thickened to desired consistency 5-6 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the shrimp stir fry and toss until combined.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.