A simple Thai side dish made with the green vegetable morning glory that cooks up practically in seconds and goes perfectly with every meal. Gluten Free and Vegan
Stir fried veggies make perfect side dishes. It’s quick to make, lightly cooked and healthy. No mess, no fuss.
I even got a chance to see this veggie growing on a farm. The plant has these white pretty flowers that tips you off that you’ve spotted the morning glory.
D and I volunteered on an organic farm for 2 days outside of Chiang Mai, Thailand where we helped with all sorts of farm work, prepared our own meals over an open fire and even learned a bit about meditation.
Farm work is no easy work. It’s crazy the effort and care that goes into growing some fruit and vegetables. Penan (former monk turned farm owner) was telling us that for a small plot of land, it would take him 2 months to fully grow the herbs and they would only amount to 800 grams worth and only sell for 150 thai baht – the equivalent of $5 USD.
How do the farmers do it? That I will never understand.
And then when you think about veggies like spinach or morning glory that you have a whole bunch of but once you throw it into the pan it withers away and all of a sudden you’re left with much less! And these things sell for so cheap in Thailand. It’s a wonder the farmers can make any money at all.
You have to respect them for that. For everything that they pour into their land, their whole heart and soul, in order to produce the food that everyday people have the luxury to just pick up at the local market or grocery store.
So a word of advice – start with more than you think you’ll need. You wouldn’t want to end up with less of the finished morning glory stir fry.
- 30 stems morning glory (or substitute spinach)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 4-6 birds eye chilies, cut, deseeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fermented soy bean sauce
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce (substitute mushroom sauce for vegan version)
- ⅔ cup vegetable broth
- Rinse and cut the morning glory, discarding the bottom 4 inches off the stem, then cutting the remaining part in 4 inch segments.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl (except for the oil).
- Heat the oil in a wok over very high heat, making sure to spread the oil over the sides.
- When the oil is smoking throw in all the ingredients (with the wok tilted away from you so it doesn't splash you) and lightly stir.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Recipe from Time for Lime