Remember my avocado chickpea salad with pesto? It has been my most shared post, with over 38,000 pins, and I decided it was time I come up with a sandwich alternative.
You know, for those times when as much as you would love a salad it is just way more practical to take a sandwich on the go.
Take a break from those BLTs and chicken clubs and try out this flavor combo – chickpeas, avocado, pesto, red onions, and lemon juice. Might not sound like sandwich material, but oh trust me it is.
Crush up those chickpeas slightly so they don’t just roll off the bread and give everything a good mix. Pile the mix in between two freshly toasted slices of bread, and lunch on the go is ready.
For all the vegans and vegetarians out there this is a must try and significantly tastier than a hummus veggie combo. I made this while my mom was visiting us in France for the day we drove out to Nice. So while gazing out at the French Riviera in between bouts of sparkling eyes and wide smiles we took bites of these sandwiches.
Having friend over? Why not serve this on an open faced sandwich as a snack? Works well that way too!
- 8 pieces of bread, toasted (use gluten free bread for gluten free version)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ small red onion, diced
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto (vegan pesto for vegan version)
- 2 handfuls spring mix
- salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl combine avocado, salt/pepper, chickpeas, onion, lemon juice, olive oil, pesto and spring mix. Mix until smooth.
- Spread between two pieces of bread.
For vegan pesto check out my vegan basil pesto recipe (or buy in stores, tapanade with basil is usually vegan and works too). For gluten free bread check out Udi’s