I gave up salads when I traveled to Asia.
We were apart for months.
This was mainly due to those leafy greens becoming sponges for the potentially dangerous tap water they could be washed in. After hearing multiple horror stories from travel friends met abroad of week long bouts of food poisoning after eating salads in SE Asia, I decided I wasn’t going to risk it.
And so by the time we touched down in France in mid May it had been over 6 months since I had a proper salad.
You know what I mean by proper right?
One that comes in a huge bowl, main dish sized, full of crunchy greens and bursting with fresh flavors.
Well apartment renting in France seems to be the perfect time to make these both for lunch and dinner.
While in the photo these are in “side salad” sized bowls, that is simply for show (for the blog photo-shoot to be exact).
At this point all I want is salads, and anything for dinner must go well tossed into a salad, otherwise it’s just out of the question for me.
Luckily pesto marinated chicken fits right in with those gorgeous greens and bright red tomatoes.
Lightly pan fry the marinated chicken, cut into bite sized pieces and toss together with the other salad ingredients. For the dressing you ask? Pesto + olive oil + lemon juice. Give that a brisk whisk and you’re done.
Bon Appétit as they say here in France.
- 1 small head of leafy salad greens, roughly chopped
- 6 big cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces (1/4 pound) chicken breast (defrosted, rinsed and dried)
- ½-1 tablespoon pesto
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- For the Dressing:
- ½-1 tablespoon pesto
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½-1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strips, and marinate with the pesto, salt (to taste) and garlic. Massage into the chicken and refrigerate for 1 hour (or more).
- To make the dressing combine pesto, olive oil and lemon juice and mix until smooth.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add olive oil. When hot add chicken breast strips and cook on each side until browned and cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and cut into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl combine salad leaves, tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, shallots, chicken and dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.