The other day I stumbled across a dijon chicken pasta recipe and realized that I had enough ingredients on hand to recreate the recipe myself.
Dijon mustard added to pasta?
Brilliant. Why hadn’t I thought of it myself?
Instead of whipping cream for the sauce base I went with creme fraiche – one of my new dairy favorites. If you ask me it makes for an ever better creamy sauce than heavy cream. You must try it.
No almonds on hand so I omitted those, and used button mushrooms instead of crimini or chanterelle.
Oh and I doubled the amount of white wine. Half a cup just didn’t seem like enough.
So though I have no idea how the original recipe tastes I was perfect content with my own recreation of it.
Don’t you just love finding recipes online and then putting your own spin on them?
A creamy and dreamy pasta recipe with chicken, mushrooms and a creamy sauce made of white wine, creme fraiche and dijon. Yum!
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into slivers
- 4 tablespoons mustard, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (parmesan, cheddar or mozzarella, etc)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 8 ounces linguine pasta (or brown rice/quinoa pasta for gluten free version), cooked according to package directions
- In a bowl combine chicken slivers, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 clove minced garlic and salt/pepper. Let the flavors marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned (do this in batches if pan too small). When mushrooms cooked add garlic and cook until just aromatic. Remove mushrooms and garlic from pan.
- To the same pan add remaining olive oil and chicken slivers. Cook until browned on each side and cooked through. Remove from pan.
- To the same pan add white wine, wait for it to reduce by half and the add creme fraiche and mustard. Mix and cook until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add mushrooms and chicken back to the pan, reduce heat to low and add the cheese. Mix. Add some of the pasta water to the pan if the sauce is too thick.
- Serve over pasta.
Recipe adpated from NL Rock Recipes