The other day D and I got locked out of our apartment. We were renting an apartment for a few days in Berlin and as we were heading out for the night I slammed the door shut just as D realized while he thought he had they keys in his pocket, they weren’t actually there.
As we sat on the stairway pondering where we would sleep for the night the German next door neighbor came out and inquired as to why we looked so sad. Upon finding out about our situation she did nothing short of bringing out ever single tool in her apartment to help us break into our own place.
After some hopeless efforts the oldest trick in the book worked for us – the credit card. It just needed to be bent at the right angle and then it perfectly wedged between the door frame and the door. Like magic the door swung open.
I was elated and even hugged the friendly German lady who saved the day.
If not for her we would have been homeless for the next 2 nights as the owners of the apartment wouldn’t be back in the city until then.
Sometimes it takes something to go completely wrong and then luckily work out to make your day.
The best way to celebrate such an incident? With quinoa.
With Mediterranean quinoa with peppers, mushrooms and feta to be exact.
A simple quinoa dish full of mediterranean flavors. Quinoa with peppers, mushrooms and feta.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4-1/2 cup feta, cubed (omit for vegan/dairy free version)
- handful fresh basil, slivered
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a pot add 1 tablespoon oil and cook half the garlic over medium heat until aromatic (30 seconds or so). Then add quinoa and cook until lightly toasted. Add 1 1/2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a pan heat remaining oil over medium heat and add peppers. Cook until lightly cooked through and add garlic. Cook until aromatic. Remove from pan. To the same pan add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- When quinoa is cooked through combine quinoa with mushrooms, peppers, garlic, basil, lemon juice and feta. Toss until mixed.