I don’t know what it is though but lately I’ve really been craving soup. A steaming hot bowl that’s smooth and rich and just yummy.
I realize it’s summer and more appropriate to have food that cools you down but I just can’t help it.
So while strolling through the local farmer’s here in Cologne Germany I spotted some fresh herbs, tomatoes and kale.
Perfect for a soup.
This soup is quick and easy to make and full of flavors. I recommend making your own broth but of course that’s up to you.
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-8 large leaves kale, thinly sliced
- 1 can red beans
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato pesto
- handful basil, slivered
- a few green onions/chives, thinly sliced
- optional: 2 tablespoons creme fraiche (omit for vegan or dairy free version)
- In a pot heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes and cook for several minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add kale, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add red beans and pesto. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve garnished with slivered basil and green onions or chives. Optional: top with a dollop of creme fraiche (omit for vegan or dairy free version)