I seriously cannot believe that I have been home for almost a month and how fast the time has flown by. I just feel like I’ve been running around like crazy trying to catch up with everyone and everything. Not quite the long stretches of lounging around watching Netflix themed visit home I was expecting.
Regardless I’ve had an amazing time and will miss a million things about home, family and friends when we hit the road again; one of which is of course home made breakfast.
There’s nothing quite like starting the day off with a delicious morning meal. When you have a full stocked fridge at your disposal there really are no limits. And so this veggie loaded poached egg bagel came to be.
I’m not yet a pro at poaching eggs, but I’m slowly getting the hang of it.
This is pretty simple to put together. While the water is boiling for the egg, slice up some cucumber and avocado, arugula and toast your bagel. While the egg is cooking, spread some hummus on the bagel (preferable the edamame one) and top with arugula, avocado and cucumber.
If you’re counting calories slice the bagel half in half again to get a nice thin bagel crisp.
A perfect way to start the day.
Simple yet healthy breakfast with a bagel topped with hummus, arugula, cucumber, avocado and a poached egg. The best way to start the day. Healthy and quick!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 bagel, cut in half and toasted (or cut into quarters for thinner bread) (use Udi's gluten free bagel for gluten free version)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced
- handful arugula
- 2 tablespoons edamame hummus
- dash of lemon juice
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a small pot, add vinegar and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Crack each egg into a small ramekin and gently place ramekin into water, slowly tipping the egg into the water. Repeat with other egg. Cook for a couple minutes or until egg cooked through. Remove egg from pot with a slotted spoon.
- Spread hummus on each bagel half. Top with arugula, cucumber, avocado. Sprinkle a splash of lemon juice on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with poached egg.