We’ve eaten a lot of vegetable fried rice in the past year. It’s such an easy option when we are looking for something simple. Most of the Asian countries we’ve been to seem to offer this dish on the menu regularly and at times, when we simply don’t know what else to order, or not in the mood to be adventurous we stick to the safe and reliable option – fried rice.
Shouldn’t be too difficult to screw up a simple dish like this right?
Well, surprisingly we’ve sampled many different versions of this dish and sometimes they’re not so good.
Sometimes when you want something done [well] it’s better to just do it yourself. Right?
This applies perfectly to vegetable fried rice. Make it at home for an easy quick meal encompassing any and all of your leftover veggies/protein in your fridge.
Have some leftover cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes? Use any or all of the above.
What about some leftover rotisserie chicken, deli turkey, packaged salami? All will work too.
The one thing that really is crucial here is the rice and soy sauce. Everything else you can work around.
I made this dish when we were renting an apartment in Edinburgh. We were flying to Nepal the following day and I have a bunch of things leftover in the fridge; half an onion, one tomato, some green onions, an egg, some salami, etc.
Fried rice is the perfect dish to make use of these ingredients, and saving you having to throw food away or let it go bad.
There’s no perfect recipe here, just try to eyeball everything. I find the key is day old rice that has been refrigerated. Don’t use freshly cooked rice – it just falls apart a bit and becomes mushy.
A simple dinner meal that uses up any and all leftover veggies or protein that you have in your fridge. An endless variety of options for vegetable fried rice!
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1-2 cups cooked rice (day old rice that is refrigerated)
- 1-2 eggs (omit for vegan or vegetarian version)
- 1-2 cups chopped vegetables (onions, tomatoes, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, garlic, etc)
- 1 cup protein (rotisserie chicken, deli turkey, salami etc or tofu for vegan/vegetarian version) diced
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use gluten free tamari for gluten free version)
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- green onions, sliced
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat pan over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Add protein and cook until lightly browned.
- Add onions and cook until soft and add remaining veggies. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add rice and mix, until thoroughly combined. Move rice and veggies over to the side and crack the eggs over the pan.
- Wait until eggs are lightly set and then mix everything together.
- Add soy sauce and mix. Add a dash of sesame oil and mix.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh green onions.