This Pesto Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich will take the standard grilled cheese to a new level with the addition of avocado and pesto. You won’t get back to the regular grilled cheese!
I’m not sure why it took me so long to come up with this recipe. Avocados + pesto + grilled cheese = perfection. Avocado + anything sign me up, but throw in some pesto and cheese?
Well then I simply can’t resist.
I had my first real grilled cheese in high school (made by D). He would always make me grilled cheeses at his house.
It was a real treat. That buttery crisped bread, the gooey cheese, oh a perfect snack.
But the time has come for me to out do him and those grilled cheese.
Time to take things to a new level with an avocado pesto combination.
Seriously next time you want a grilled cheese, jazz it up with the addition of avocado and pesto.
You might even get away with calling this a sophisticated sandwich.
Spice up your regular grilled cheese with you addition of avocado and pesto. You'll never go back to the plain old grilled cheese!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 4 slices bread (use gluten free bread for gluten free version)
- 2-4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 avocado
- 2-4 tablespoons basil pesto
- sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Add pesto to one side of each piece of bread. Top pesto with cheese, avocado, and another layer of cheese. Top with other piece of bread (pesto side down). Repeat for second sandwich.
- Butter the outside of the bread and add to a pan heated over medium heat (butter side down).
- Butter the other piece of bread (the one on top) Cook until lightly browned on one side and flip over to the buttered side. Cook until browned. Repeat for the other sandwich.