Just the other day I committed the ultimate travel faux pas. I took us to the wrong airport and then we missed our flight.
Well to be fair it was the right airport, just a different terminal that happened to be 22 km away, and we didn’t quite “miss” the flight, we got there 35 minutes before the flight but were no longer allowed to check in.
And so instead of getting in to Penang, where we’re renting an apartment for a month and half at 3:30pm we didn’t get in until just past 10, after a series of buses, metro rides and cabs.
Oh and all the wasted money.
What a mess.
Most upsetting though? We took the train to the airport and if we had just gotten there six minutes earlier we would have arrived 20 minutes earlier (since we would have caught a different train) and just made it through check in, even with going to the wrong airport.
Only six minutes.
It’s going to take me a while to get over that one.
So to make myself feel better, what did I do?
Make quinoa. That always helps, right?
My mom brought me a bag of quinoa to Australia since I had been living quinoa free for months as I couldn’t find any in India, Nepal or Thailand and I’ve been carrying that bag around with me since mid-January. It was time to break it out for an uplifting meal.
Perfect for a simple meal.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small cucumbers, quartered and sliced
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
- a few green onions, chopped
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 lemon zested
- a bunch of pea sprouts, chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pesto (use vegan pesto for dairy free version, or vegan version)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pot and add garlic. Cook until just aromatic and add quinoa. Lightly cook until just toasted. Add 1½ cups water or stock to the quinoa, bring to a boil, add salt, reduce heat and simmer, covered until cooked through (15-20 minutes)
- In a small bowl combine pesto, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Once quinoa is cooked add all remaining ingredients to the quinoa pot and stir until mixed through.
- Serve hot.