Simplified Chorizo Jambalaya is the perfect one pot weeknight dinner meal. Prep the ingredients as you cook to cut down on total recipe time, then just wait for the rice to cook through. Made with onions, garlic, chorizo, chipotle in adobo peppers, spices, tomatoes, red beans and rice. Every bite is filled with flavor. Gluten free and Dairy free.
I have been making various versions of this simplified chorizo jambalaya dish for years. It is one of my go to meals when I’m trying to impress dinner guests while also minimizing cooking time and effort.
This is the ultimate hearty, filling, flavorful one pot meal.
Yep, everything cooks in just one pot. If you know anything about me, you know that I love to cook, and therefore make a mess in the kitchen, but hate to clean.
Washing dishes is one of my least favorite tasks in the world.
So any recipes that minimize clean up are always in high demand.
With this dish you literally need a knife, cutting board, pot, and stirring spoon. That’s it. I can mince the garlic by hand, so that I don’t have to clean out the garlic mincer – quite possibly one of the most annoying kitchen tools to clean.
Another huge cooking benefit in this recipe is that you can prep all the ingredients as the previous ones cook. Unlike in a recipe like my vegan summer rolls with mango and avocado where everything last ingredient needs to be prepped before you can get started, here that’s not the case.
First you slice up the chorizo and get it cooking right away. While that’s cooking dice and onion and mince the garlic then add to the pot. Give it a good stir and then chop the chipotle in adobo and add. You get the idea.
Prepping the rest of the ingredients while the initial ones cook.
That’s my style of cooking.
I know you’re going to love this meal because countless friends have loved it in the past and have literally requested that I remake it on multiple occasions. In the past I have always made this with Italian sausage, but I find that chorizo gives an even better smokier flavor to the rice and overall dish.
To make this even heartier I added a whole can of red beans and chipotle in adobo for a bit of extra heat.
Overall a delicious one pot meal that is ready in 40 minutes.
Simplified Chorizo Jambalaya is the perfect one pot weeknight dinner meal. Made with onions, garlic, chorizo, chipotle in adobo peppers, spices, tomatoes, red beans and rice. Every bite if filled with flavor. Gluten and Dairy free.
10 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 pound cooked chorizo sausage, casing removed, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 avocado, cubed for garnish
- handful cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until browned (5-10 minutes).
- Add onions and garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes. Add cumin, paprika and salt to taste. Add chipotle in adobo and mix.
- Add tomato, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add rice, mixing everything together and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered until rice is cooked through (15-20 minutes).
- Serve with avocado and fresh cilantro.
Don’t forget to Follow my blog with Bloglovin