A light yet creamy scallops and pasta dish with mushrooms makes for a simple yet sophisticated weeknight meal. Gluten free. Lots of refreshing lemon and parsley flavor.
I used to think that chivalry was dead.
Especially in the 21st century. But this weekend I was pleasantly surprised and proven wrong.
D and I decided to spend New Year’s in NYC with friends and cousins, watching the ball drop in Times Square then heading over to a warehouse party in Brooklyn.
Yea well we never got to Times Square, since we realized that getting there at 10pm would result in seeing absolutely nothing, and everyone begged us not to go.
So we skipped right to the airplane and flight themed warehouse party (which I thought was fantastic). Who doesn’t want to go to a party where acrobats swing from cloth attached to the ceiling and you can play blackjack using fake (or was it real?) Chinese money?
Anyhow the day after the party the 4 of us headed to a cafe for some poutine breakfast (which by the way is an absolutely delicious Montreal dish consisting of fries with gravy and cheese curds). Somehow I ended up on the sidewalk on one side of the street and the 3 of them on the other, so naturally they decided that throwing snowballs at me as we walked would be a good idea.
After a few minutes of dodging this a car randomly pulled over right next to me and a guy looked out – asking me if i knew “them” and if I needed any help. I was impressed. Who knew that of all places, in Brooklyn I would find a group of modern knights looking out for me.
Though that has absolutely nothing to do with pasta, I just had to share the story. This dish, featuring mushrooms with scallops and pasta, though is awesome. Light and lemony, the scallops cook in their own broth and then that is used as the base for the sauce itself.
Brilliant if you ask me. No added cream to make this heavy, just some wine, fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and some fresh parm. The best combination of scallops and pasta, if you ask me.
A light yet creamy pasta with scallops and mushrooms makes for a simple yet sophisticated weeknight meal. Gluten free. Lots of refreshing lemon and parsley flavor.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour (use gluten-free flour for gluten free version)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and lemon pepper to taste
- 8 oz lemon pappardelle pasta (use gluten free pasta for gluten free version)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Cook scallops in natural broth with wine and lemon juice over low heat for 5 minutes. Place mixture in separate bowl.
- Cook mushrooms and scallions in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes . Place in separate bowl.
- Add flour to pan and reserved cooking liquid from scallops. Mix until smooth then add 1 tablespoon parsley, 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Cook until sauce has thickened. Add scallops and mushrooms back to pan and cook until reheated.
- Serve over pasta and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and parsley.