Sunny Side Up Eggs with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Onions – Make sure to add the bread as a nice little border for this picturesque meal.
I’m not a big breakfast or brunch person (well except for my love of bacon of course – but I think that’s perfectly appropriate to munch on all day). Generally I have no problems eating leftover pizza, beef stew, puff pastry tarts etc , but if I am going to make myself a real breakfast meal this is in my top 3. Not much of a recipe per say, just some pointers on what goes well together. I don’t even remember the first time I had this so it must have been the pre-school years at least. When I lived at home my mom used to make this – with the eggs runny for her and dad – and more shaken up and scrambled for me – now that’s what I call full service. I just never caught on to the whole goopy splurp your eggs with a spoon phenomenon (eek) – I don’t want mine jiggling all over the plate when the table shakes. I’ll let you decide how you prefer your eggs though. Make sure to add the bread as a nice little border for this picturesque meal. I like this sunny side up eggs best with Russian black (rye) bread but I’ll forgive you if you just use regular white (as I had to this time around).
A picturesque and delicious breakfast
10 minsPrep Time
15 minsCook Time
- 5 eggs
- handful of button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- sunflower oil
- 1-2 pieces bread, cut into matchsticks
- salt, pepper to taste
- fresh basil, slivered (optional)
- green onions, sliced (optional)
- Parmesan, grated (optional)
- In a large pan heat oil over medium heat. Along the pan's perimeter place bread pieces, filling up all the empty places. In the middle add sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally for a few minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the onions and cook for a few minutes. Add sliced tomatoes in a single layer and cook for a few minutes.
- Flip the bread pieces over (add more oil to the pan if it's getting dry). Crack the eggs over the pan in 4 separate areas. Scramble them up a little with a fork if you don't like them runny.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and cook until eggs are set. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmsan, green onions and basil (optional). Remove from heat and enjoy!