Soba Noodle with Tofu Bok Choy Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry is both vegan and gluten-free! You can add anything to this dish to make it your very own stir fry.
The first time I tried soba noodles I didn’t care for them all that much, and D outright disliked them. How times have changed. Now I love soba noodles and D has certainly grown to like them enough to warrant a second helping of this Soba Noodle with Tofu Bok Choy Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry dish. A pretty lengthy ingredient list here but many substitutions or even omissions can be made.
I’ve made this many times over the last few weeks and have used tempeh instead of tofu, added cucumbers instead of bok choy, omitted the broccoli entirely etc. So feel free to play around and add the ingredients you have on hand. I’d say keep the shiitake mushrooms though – those I’m grown particularly fond of. Once sauteed they develop a rich hearty flavor which adds depth to this bok choy broccoli mushroom stir fry. If you can, do try to get your hands on some thai basil (I luckily found some at Whole Foods last time). It look a little like regular basil – with smaller spear shaped leaves and a purple stem, but it really packs in a different punch of flavor. A word of caution — be careful when cooking soba noodles – it’s best to add them to boiling water a few noodles at a time, in different directions so that they don’t all clump together (trust me I learned the hard way).
Helpful Kitchen Tools for this Recipe: • T-fal A8058962 Specialty Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator 14-Inch Jumbo Wok Cookware, Black – for a stir fry you’ve got to have a wok and it doesn’t even need to be a fancy one – just a simply one will do. • Zyliss Susi 3 Garlic Press – I used garlic in so many recipes and really hate mincing it by hand – so much easier with a reliable garlic press, and trust me this one works (unlike so many that do not!)
Stir Fry with Mushrooms, Tofu and Broccoli
50 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 8 ounces soba noodles (make sure they are 100% gluten free)
- peanut oil
- 1 pound tofu, sliced into 1/2 inch blocks
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 ounces shiitake, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1-2 baby bok choy, sliced
- sesame seeds
- thai basil, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup gluten free tamari
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- Over medium high heat add peanut oil to pan. Cook tofu blocks until browned, flip and cook on other side until browned. Remove from pan and slice into thin strips.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Bring large pot of water to a boil and add soba noodles slowly a few noodles at a time. Cook 6-8 minute or as instructed. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add shallots to pan, cook 1-2 minutes than add ginger and garlic (in 1 tablespoon amounts). Cook until just starting to brown, remove.
- Add mushrooms to pan (adding more peanut oil if needed) and cook 2-3 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes then add bok choy and cook 1-2 minutes. Add tofu, shallots, garlic and ginger back to pan and toss until mixed.
- Add soba noodles and sauce and toss until combined.
- Serve drizzled with sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, sesame seeds, thai basil, scallions and cilantro (for spice add sriracha).