A gluten free and vegan meal – Quinoa Eggplant and Roasted Red Peppers that’s full of flavor and ready in just 30 minutes! Perfect for busy weeknights.
How is it August 21st already? Where has the time gone? How is it possible that I’m turning 24 in only a few days!?!?! When I was younger I used to think that when you turned a certain age you just started to feel that age (or how I thought you should feel at that age) but now that I’m apparently all grown up I know this isn’t the case at all. Do I really still feel like I’m 17? No definitely not, but I definitely don’t feel almost 24 either. Maybe I could settle on a nice 21 and a half. That could work.
I just remember being younger and thinking 24 was so grown up. I thought for sure I’d be married and pregnant already – though I can happily now say that I am neither. I don’t know if it’s my generation or this is just what happens with everyone. Don’t even get me started on what I used to think about the age of 30. To me that was the real secure age when you had it all figured out and were on your life path. Now I see 30 year olds feeling just as lost in life as college graduates.
I guess this is a good sign though – means I’ve got at least 6 years to figure things out. Though if they fly by like the last 6 years I’ll be 30 in no time…
Enough of the rambling – on to a delicious new recipe. To tell you the truth I actually wasn’t all too excited for this quinoa eggplant dish. I came up with the idea of it but somewhere in the middle of cooking just lost most of my enthusiasm for it.
Luckily the finished quinoa eggplant and roasted red peppers dish blew me out of the water and tickled my taste buds. Globe eggplants by the way, if you hadn’t already heard, are excellent and more tender than their darker meaner looking cousins – the standard purple eggplant. Get your hands on some asap!
As for the roasted red peppers, though somewhat slimy looking on their own, when mixed in with quinoa, eggplant and feta they provide a burst of flavor.
If your spice tolerance is low omit the jalepeno – the quinoa eggplant dish was fine for me but D complained that his mouth was on fire.
A 30 minute vegan and gluten free meal perfect for busy weeknights
5 mins Prep Time
25 mins Cook Time
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 globe eggplants, quartered lengthwise and then chopped 1/2-1 inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, diced, divided
- 1 small jalapeno, diced (seeds removed)
- 1 splash balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup feta (omit for vegan version)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- In a pot heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add quinoa and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally for a few minutes. Add broth, turn heat to high until it comes to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- In a pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook for a few minutes then add eggplant. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, balsamic vinegar and the jalapeno. Cook for a few minutes, then remove from heat.
- Serve over quinoa with roasted red peppers and feta (omit for vegan version)