For this month’s Secret Recipe Club I was assigned the Itzy’s Kitchen blog. Like me Erica started her blog as a way to share her recipes and over the years it has grown to be so much more. I had bookmarked a handful of recipes to try including the black bean soup and buffalo chicken chili but in the end went with zucchini fries. I had heard of these before but never actually made them or even tried them myself. A simple recipe that’s a healthy alternative to greasy fast food french fries. Naturally they do not exactly taste the same but I welcome them anyway. Easy to put together with a short baking time and perfect to dip into a sour cream mayo basil paprika dip.
Simple and healthy alternative to greasy french fries - baked zucchini fries
10 minsPrep Time
20 minsCook Time
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch square 3 inch long sticks
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the egg.
- In a large tupperware container combine spices and cornmeal. Mix until combined.
- Dip zucchini slices in egg and then add to tupperware container. Add all the zucchini slices, cover and shake to combine.
- In single layer place zucchini slices of parchment lines baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy, turning slices over halfway into baking.
- Recipe adapted from Itzy's Kitchen