Full of Thai flavors, you can’t go wrong with morning glory recipe. A 10 minute side dish recipe that is Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free too. Even the name is lovely!
In Asia there is this amazing leafy green vegetable with a great english translation – morning glory.
Doesn’t it just sound cheerful and lovely? What a name right?
And trust me it is. Don’t let it sit too long and get sad and wilted though. Not nice for the morning glory.
There’s really no substitute. You could use baby spinach instead but it’s really not the same.
You’ve really just got to seek out morning glory in your Asian supermarket. And then you’ve got to prepare it asap – it doesn’t live very long you see.
This thin long stemmed green veggie full of flappy leaves at the top cooks in a flash too. 1, 2, and done…just like that. No joke!
By the way have you been to an Asian grocery store, or a grocery store in Asia to be correct? The produce section amazes me. I’m always running around in circles there discovering some new exotic fruit of vegetables I’d never seen the likes of before.
Oh and the smells. Grab a bundle of fresh herbs fold them in half and breathe in deeply. So fresh and aromatic, just unbelievable really.
Almost makes me think the scents have been deliberately sucked out of all American produce, arriving at the grocery stores limp and lifeless.
Not so in these Asian supermarkets I tell you. Or better yet the fresh open air markets. The aroma of all the fresh fruits and veggies just bouncing off each other in the air. It’s wonderful and intense all at the same time. Be prepared for a hectic atmosphere there though.
Back to the lovely morning glory recipe. It makes for a perfect side dish to an Asian themed meal and it cooks in just a couple of minutes. You just need a couple other key ingredients and you’ll be good to go.
If you’re looking for an idea of what to serve this with, I can guarantee is goes perfect with a Thai Squash Red Curry. That is exactly what I served it with and the two were quite the match.
A simple side dish full of fresh flavors.
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 pound morning glory,washed,
- 1 inch piece of ginger, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil (soybean, canola, vegetable)
- 1 birds eye chili, smashed with a knife to open pores and release flavors
- To prep morning glory cut off the roots and then cut into three sections, the stems into a 2 inch section, the next part into a 3 inch section and keep the leaves as is.
- Heat wok over medium high heat and add oil. Add birds eye chili, garlic and ginger and cook until just aromatic 1 minute.
- Add morning glory, fish sauce and oyster sauce. Cook 2-3 minutes, tossing constantly. Remove from heat and add lime juice. Serve hot.