These Thai-style gluten free fish cakes are a simple appetizer made with a mixture of minced fish, red curry paste, long beans, kaffir limes and oil. Deep fry and serve with a cucumber vinegar salad for a delicious meal. Dairy-Free too.
Well we have safely made it over to France and are now eating croissants and cheese galore. Until I get my hands on a few French recipes though it’s fish cakes I share today.
Not to worry we have some apartment rentals coming up and with my mom visiting I’ll be cooking up a storm (with the quinoa she brought with her from the US), so stay tuned for some quinoa meals!
If you’re looking for appetizer recipes these gluten free fish cakes are perfect. As you can imagine it’s minced fish with a slew of Thai ingredients. During my last of about seven cooking classes in Thailand I learned to make these at Grandma’s Thai Recipe cooking class up in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand. This was one of my all time favorite cooking classes. The instructor was super personable and it felt more like I was chatting with an old friend, learning all about Thai culture and cuisine rather than taking a class with a complete stranger. During the class, which was held at the family restaurant I had the pleasure of meeting the other family members, all closer intertwined into the family business. From the grandfather offering to split his soup with me, to the uncles and cousins hovering around the kitchen sharing their own cooking tips, it felt like a truly unique and authentic experience.
We made several different dishes during the cooking class and the fish cakes were simply a starter.
The gluten free fish cakes are easy to make, perfectly crispy and delicious served with a light vinegary cucumber salad. Now they might be deep fried, but I think there is now harm in oven baking or pan searing them lightly in oil instead for a healthier version of this dish.
No need to order them at a restaurant when you can make them better at home yourself!
A simple Thai appetizer that's perfectly crispy, crunchy and full of flavor. Serve with a vinegary cucumber and onion salad for a perfect balance.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup ground fish meat
- 1 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced long bean (or wing bean)
- 2 thinly sliced kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaf with stem
- 2 cups cooking oil
- To a mixing bowl add fish and red curry paste. Mix well until smooth.
- To the bowl add long bean, kaffir lime leave and coriander. Mix.
- On high heat add oil to wok.
- Roll one tablespoon of fish mixture in your hands (dampen hands first) and flatten in your hand, forming a patty. Repeat with remaining patties. Add patties to oil (without overcrowding the wok).
- The fish cake will sink in the oil, wait for it to rise to the top and then flip it over. Cook on both sides until cooked through (several minutes per side).
- Serve with a light crunchy salad of cucumber, red onions, chilies and rice vinegar/sugar mix.
Recipe from Grandma’s Thai Recipes