Quick weeknight meal full of protein, and veggies. Chicken pesto quinoa with zucchini, asparagus and avocado. Gluten and dairy free!
I am seriously in love with quinoa. I simply cannot get enough.
While traveling through Asia for 8 months I didn’t have it once. I never saw it anywhere. Not even at the Western restaurants. Guess it just hasn’t taken off yet. I can’t understand why not.
Aside from being delicious it is also incredibly high in protein while also being gluten free. Double win.
And it’s good with almost anything.
When my mom came to visit in France we rented a few apartments and it’s all I cooked for dinner. I changed it up with the fillings to keep things interesting but I didn’t stray from my favorite quinoa.
This chicken pesto quinoa recipe is simple to throw together and easy to make. Pan fry some zucchini and asparagus with garlic and then toss that together with cooked quinoa, avocado, rotisserie chicken and pesto.
Dinner is served.
Make sure to toast the quinoa before you add in the water – it makes all the difference!
Quick weeknight meal full of protein, and veggies. Quinoa with pesto, zucchini, asparagus and avocado. Gluten and dairy free!
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 zucchini, halved and thinly sliced into semi circles
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into two inch pieces and halved if thick
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- salt and red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto (vegan pesto for dairy free version, or use an olive tapenade instead)
- 2 ounces spring mix
- In a pot heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add half the garlic and the quinoa. Cook until lightly toasted 2-4 minutes. Add water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste. Reduce heat and simmer, covered 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat and add zucchini. Cook until lightly browned on both sides and remove from pan.
- Add asparagus and cook until cooked through but still lightly crunchy. Add garlic, salt and red pepper flakes and cook until just aromatic.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, chicken, zucchini, garlic, asparagus, pesto. Mix. Add avocado, lemon juice and spring mix. Mix lightly.