Have you heard of white asparagus before? I saw it for the first time while I was abroad in Spain; my senora (as I called my home stay lady) served it to us for dinner once and I was confused. Who bleached my green asparagus and got rid of that bright color? I won’t deny that I liked it though.
Four years later while walking past a local farmer’s market in France, some fresh white asparagus caught my eye. Why not try this instead of my go to green one?
And so this pasta was born.
Bacon + mushrooms + white asparagus in a lightly creamy garlicky sauce. Yum.
By the way in Europe they sell bacon in diced up bits where all you have to do is tear open the package and blop those bacon pieces into the pan to cook. No mess at all and the final product is nice crispy up rectangular bacon blocks.
Now we all know bacon grease is no good for you but trust me using the oil to then cook the mushrooms and asparagus makes all the difference. Just don’t cook that way too often. Promise?
While green asparagus might be good, the white kind isn’t bad either. The white kind is a little bit tougher and takes a little bit longer to cook but fits in perfect with bacon and mushrooms in this pasta dish.
Next time you see some give it a whirl.
Simple pasta dish full of flavors. Pasta with White Asparagus
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 - 1 pound bacon, cut into small rectangular segments (or try to find packaged version where is it chopped into rectangular bits)
- 1 pound white asparagus, 2 inch off the ends cut off and discarded and remaining part cut into 3 segments
- 1 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup creme fraiche (or heavy cream)
- 1/4-1/2 cup emmantaler cheese, grated (or other cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat pan over medium heat and add bacon.and cook until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain off half the oil.
- To the same pan add white asparagus and cook until cooked through yet still somewhat crunchy. Remove from pan.
- To the same pan add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned on each side. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, mixing in with the mushrooms afterwards.
- To the pan add the asparagus, creme fraiche or heavy cream and cheese. Cook until sauce has thickened to desired consistency. Add bacon back in and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over pasta.