Simple Quinoa with Pesto Walnuts Avocado Kale Zucchini Recipe is just full of flavors. Gluten free and vegan. Perfect for a weeknight meal.
Today we’ll be flying back to the US for a month after traveling through Asia and Europe for over 11 months.
I can barely believe it has been so long. The time flew by and it seems impossible that I’ve been away for so long.
We’ll only be home for a month before we hit the road again and as much as I love to travel I’m also super excited to come home for a bit.
It’ll be so nice to see family and friends and be back at home. I love both family and friend gatherings and can’t wait for both.
To celebrate our return home I’m sharing a recipe with two of my all time favorite foods; quinoa, (a product that can be particularly hard to find abroad) and zucchini. While I love zucchini in zucchini burger recipes here I’ve added it to quinoa instead.
This kale zucchini recipe is a combination of two quinoa dishes I made in the past, my quinoa with artichokes, asparagus and kale, and my quinoa with pesto, veggies and chicken. Best of both worlds if you ask me.
Hope you enjoy my simple kale zucchini recipe!
Simple quinoa dish full of flavors. Gluten free and vegan. Perfect for a weeknight meal.
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale leaves, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 - 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons basil pesto (vegan pesto for dairy free or vegan version)
- handful basil leaves, slivered
- a few green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt/pepper to taste.
- In a pot heat 1 tablespoon oil and add half the garlic, Cook until aromatic and add quinoa. Cook for a few minutes until quinoa is lightly toasted and add the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a separate pan heat remaining oil on medium heat and add zucchini. Cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned and add the remaining garlic. Cook until garlic aromatic and mix. Add the kale leaves and cook for a few mintues. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- When quinoa cooked through add quinoa to the pan with the veggies and add lemon juice, pesto, basil and green onions. Mix.
- Add walnuts and avocado. Mix.