This creamy vegan Tomato soup recipe just needs canned tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, vegetable stock, and sundried tomato tapenade. – An Ultimate Soup Recipe
The other day I decided to take the initiative and made home made chicken broth from scratch. I had some leftover rotisserie chicken so just decided to use those bones as the base for the broth. Why not right?
Normally I throw in a whole raw chicken to make the stock, but why not experiment with something else?
To the mix I added some carrot, celery and onion. Brought the medley to a boil, then a simmer and plopped down on the couch to get some work done.
Three hours later, it finally dawned on me that I have chicken broth cooking. More like evaporating really. When I ran over to the stove there was almost nothing left. Literally almost the entire pot had evaporated. There was only one measly half cup left.
Epic food failure.
Such a shame.
Well since I already had my heart set on making this vegan tomato soup recipe, I just went ahead with it and diluted my 1/2 cup condenses chicken broth with 2 cups of water. Gotta do what you gotta do.
And it still came out delicious. A few veggies can really come together magically. And the sundried tomato tapenade adds that extra depth in flavor. Top the soup off with some coconut cream to give it a richer creamier texture but still keeping it vegan.
If you’ve got a blender handy, feel free to puree the soup if you like a silkier smoother texture.
A simple vegan creamy tomato soup that will have you asking for more!
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced,
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 can stewed/diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- dash of dried rosemary
- dash of dried oregano
- 2.5-3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock for vegetarian/vegan version
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomato tapenade
- 1 cup coconut milk
- handful cooked penne pasta, cut up (use brown rice pasta for gluten free) (optional)
- Heat oil in pot over low heat. Add diced onion and cook for a couple minutes. Add bell pepper and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, vegetable stock, and sundried tomato tapenade. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Optional: Add some cut up penne pasta to the soup for a fuller meal.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.