A super rich and creamy 30 minute creamy tomato chicken pasta recipe that makes for a perfect low fuss weeknight meal. Made with shredded rotisserie chicken, capers and a tomato sauce. Can be made gluten-free and dairy-free too.
I’ve been on a pasta kick lately. And this here is a good one. A creamy tomato chicken pasta for dinner. The creamy tomato based sauce perfectly coats the penne pasta and doesn’t take too long to make.
And to minimize cooking time, instead of working with raw chicken I opted for some leftover rotisserie chicken instead. You can either purchase the rotisserie chicken in store or make your own with my super duper secret family recipe which the best marinade of all time that guarantees a tender roasted chicken every time. Not trying to brag, just trying to bring this recipe into your life!
With some shredded rotisserie chicken the full meal is complete.
There’s just so much you can really do with pasta and really experiment with the various ingredients, quantities, order etc.
My go to sauce is usually pesto based, as I go to pesto for almost anything, but I’ve been trying to branch out. Make a new pasta sauce and what not.
If you’re looking for a weeknight meal, this is it right here.
Delicious penne pasta coated in a rich and creamy tomato based sauce, with shredded rotisserie chicken. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
5 minPrep Time
22 minCook Time
27 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- salt, dried rosemary, dried oregano to taste (just a pinch of each)
- 1 cup milk (to make this recipe dairy free, use coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (to make this recipe dairy free, use coconut cream)
- 1-2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 ounces gluten free penne pasta
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar (to make this recipe dairy free use a vegan shredded cheese blend)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a pan heat oil over medium heat and add garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes and add spices, and can of diced tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add milk and cream and continue to cook, reducing heat to low for 10 minutes.
- Add rotisserie chicken and cheese to the sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add pasta to the pan and stir until mixed.
- Garnish with capers.