A super rich and creamy 30 minute creamy tomato chicken pasta recipe that makes for a perfect low fuss weeknight meal. Made with shredded rotisserie chicken, capers and a tomato sauce. Can be made gluten-free and dairy-free too.
I’ve been on a pasta kick lately. And this here is a good one. A creamy tomato chicken pasta for dinner. The creamy tomato based sauce perfectly coats the penne pasta and doesn’t take too long to make.
And to minimize cooking time, instead of working with raw chicken I opted for some leftover rotisserie chicken instead. You can either purchase the rotisserie chicken in store or make your own with my super duper secret family recipe with the best marinade of all time that guarantees a tender roasted chicken every time. Not trying to brag, just trying to bring this recipe into your life!
Isn’t rotisserie chicken just the best for making quick meals? You can do so much with it. Some of my favorite ways to use up leftover rotisserie chicken include (of course) this creamy tomato chicken pasta as well as my dairy free chicken pasta with creamy pesto sauce, creamy chicken and green veggie pasta, and my Thai chicken salad.
With some shredded rotisserie chicken a full weeknight dinner can be assembled in no time at all.
There’s just so much you can really do with pasta and really experiment with the various ingredients, quantities, order etc. My go to sauce is usually pesto based, as I go to pesto for almost anything, but I’ve been trying to branch out. Make a new pasta sauce and what not.
So this time I opted for a creamy tomato chicken pasta recipe. This recipe requires less than 10 ingredients – namely garlic, onions, canned tomatoes, chopped chicken, pasta, milk/cream or coconut milk/cream and cheese (regular or dairy free) and capers (for garnishing).
While the herbs – dried rosemary and dried oregano add a bit more pop to this creamy tomato chicken pasta, they are by no means mandatory. Same with the capers – I love the briny and salty taste of capers (even better when they’re dried and lightly pan fried for a nutty taste) and find that they add a deeper element of flavor to this creamy tomato chicken pasta, but these are also optional.
If you don’t have any herbs or capers on hand you can make this delicious pasta dinner with just the basics – oil, onions, garlic, tomatoes, chicken, pasta and cream. I prefer to use coconut milk and cream with a sprinkling of dairy free cheese for a dairy free version, but if you have no problems with dairy feel free to use regular milk/cream and cheese. I’ll leave that entirely up to you.
Next time you’re looking for a quick 30 minute weeknight meal, look no further than this creamy tomato chicken pasta. I guarantee it’s going to be a hit and will be in your weekly dinner rotation from now on!
For some of my other favorite pasta recipes be sure to check out my:
- Dairy Free Chicken Pasta with Creamy Pesto Sauce –> PIN for Later
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta with Sage –> PIN For later
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Pasta –> PIN For Later
- 30 Minute Ham and Tomato Pasta
- 30 Minute Lightened Up Creamy Coconut Milk Carbonara Pasta
Delicious penne pasta coated in a rich and creamy tomato based sauce, with shredded rotisserie chicken. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
5 minPrep Time
22 minCook Time
27 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- salt, dried rosemary, dried oregano to taste (just a pinch of each)
- 1 cup milk (to make this recipe dairy free, use coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (to make this recipe dairy free, use coconut cream)
- 1-2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 ounces gluten free penne pasta
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar (to make this recipe dairy free use a vegan shredded cheese blend)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a pan heat oil over medium heat and add garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes and add spices, and can of diced tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add milk and cream and continue to cook, reducing heat to low for 10 minutes.
- Add rotisserie chicken and cheese to the sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add pasta to the pan and stir until mixed.
- Garnish with capers.