A creamy and flavorful chicken and pesto panini recipe made with chicken, pesto, cheese and mayonnaise. A tad more sophisticated than the grilled cheeses I lived off of in college
I’m pretty sure the only real food I ate sophomore year of college was the panini. It was the first year in my life when I really had to take care of myself. No parents or dining hall to keep me fed.
And I didn’t do a great job of it. I remember one out of the 6 of us girls living in the apartment had brought a mini George Foreman grill, and I’m pretty positive all my meals were made on that thing.
The stove and oven itself looked like it belonged in the Smithsonian museum display room of 1950s US kitchens so it didn’t exactly entice me to make something on the stovetop.
Seven years later (how has it already been 7 years?!?!) I still enjoy a good panini, though luckily for my body I’ve diversified my diet quite a bit bit since those college years.
Bread, chicken, cheese and pesto is all you need and so this chicken and pesto panini recipe came to be. If you’re feeling really indulgent sneak in some mayo and smother the bread with it. Your waistline might disapprove but your taste buds will thank you.
A creamy and flavorful panini made with chicken, pesto, cheese and mayonnaise. Can be made gluten free
5 minPrep Time
6 minCook Time
11 minTotal Time
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken (or a few slices chicken cold cuts)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- a few slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Spread pesto on two slices of the bread and mayonnaise on the other two.
- To each slice of mayo bread add chicken and cheese. Top with the pesto bread. Spread 1/4 of the butter on the outside of each slice of bread.
- Heat pan over medium-low heat and add the two sandwiches. Cook until browned, flip and cook until the other side is browned.
- Slice in half and serve!