A quick & simple dairy free chicken pasta with a twist of pesto and coconut milk based sauce, plus extra flavors of toasted almonds, fried garlic chips and fresh herbs. Gluten-Free too.
What have your afternoons and evenings been looking like lately?
Mine have been all about the World Cup. Here in Croatia the games don’t start until 6pm and go until 2am so my evenings have been soccer filled.
I’m not much of a sports fan and don’t regularly watch any sports, but when it comes to a world level, with countries playing eachother, then I start to tune in.
It’s just more interesting this way, if you ask me. It’s especially fun to watch the games in the countries that the teams are playing from. We were just in Bosnia and Herzegovina when they played their first world cup match ever and it was a night I’ll never forget.
You could just feel the excitement and the anxiety in the air. I had taken a war tour of the city of Mostar earlier that day and the guide, Zika, also owns a bar in the city center and invited me to watch the game there that night. It was a small group, him and 10 of his closest buddies and D and I. We all watched the game on the edge of our seats passionately rooting for the small country of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Unfortunately they lost 2-1 to Argentina, but they played well, gave it their all, and the fans were still in a celebratory mood.
With shots of the local alcohol and dancing to the blasting music by the end of the night it seemed like we were all friends. This was even further confirmed when one of the guys took of his jersey and handed it to us. We took a few photos in the jersey and tried to give it back to him, but he simply refused. A truly touching moment I will never forget.
And now let’s talk pasta! I’ve been wanting to create a dairy free chicken pasta sauce and coconut milk has proved to be a great base.
With a full home made batch of vegan pesto, this dairy free chicken pasta recipe is simply magical.
Perfection is all I need to say.
The silky smooth velvety herbally sauce gets just the right amount of crunch from the toasted almonds and pan fried garlic chips.
Have you had garlic chips before? You’ve got to. They are down right incredible. Like miniature sized chips but with a hint of garlic.
And they don’t need to be deep fried.
Just a shallow fry in some olive oil, which then get’s infused with the garlicky scent and is reused for cooking all the other incredible.
To make this dairy free chicken pasta recipe completely vegan just use veggies in place of the chicken – I think some thinly sliced zucchini would be fabulous as well.
For another vegan and gluten free pasta recipe be sure to check out my Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo with Caramelized Squash and Red Onions – you simply won’t believe that cauliflower can be the base of a creamy, healthy and delicious pasta sauce!
So if you’re looking for a creamy dairy free chicken pasta sauce coconut milk is the way to go. Don’t skimp on the toasted almonds and fried garlic chips either — they all go together perfectly.
Liked this dairy free chicken pasta and looking for more 30 minute weeknight pasta recipes? Check out these:
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta with Sage –> PIN For later
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Pasta –> PIN For Later
- 30 Minute Ham and Tomato Pasta
- 30 Minute Lightened Up Creamy Coconut Milk Carbonara Pasta
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Pasta
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, dry toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (use thinly sliced zucchini for vegan version)
- 1/4 cup vegan pesto
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 8 ounces gluten free pasta, cooked according to package directions
- fresh basil, slivered for garnish
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat and add the thinly sliced garlic. Cook until just starting to brown and remove from pan. Drain on paper towels.
- To the same pan with the oil add onion and minced garlic and cook for a few minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add shredded chicken and cook for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- Add pesto, wine, and coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve sauce with pasta, topped with toasted almonds, fried garlic and fresh basil.