This super simple gluten free vegan fruit and nut bars with granola recipe is packed full of fruit, nuts and filled to the brim with vitamins and nutrients. Skip the store bought granola bars and make your own at home.
I’ve had granola and granola bars on the mind lately.
When we were in Croatia I became obsessed with granola. We bought a bag of fruit granola in the local grocery store and I simply couldn’t get enough of the crunchy texture and would find myself slowly gravitating towards the bag of granola all day long until it was simply gone.
I pretty much almost (key word, almost) cried when I found out that D has finished the rest of the granola without warning me and therefore I was not mentally prepared to dip my hand into an empty bag.
So when I got home and was catching up with one of my closest friends and she happened to mention that we should make granola bars I jumped at the chance.
Yes please. Got to love friend time, which happened to be combined with a bit of cooking and a whole lot of white wine sipping.
Oh the things I have missed while D and I have been traveling.
And so the two of us set out to make our very own set of home made gluten free vegan fruit and nut bars with granola. Though I’ve made gluten free and vegan raw larabars before this was indeed my first baked granola bar experience.
While the mix at first resembled bird food (thanks to the steel cut oats I figure) the finished product was just perfect. Crunchy, healthy, yet just with the slightest hint of sweetness.
Just what I was looking for, healthy gluten free vegan fruit and nut bars with granola.
With lots of nuts, dried fruit, chia seeds, and gluten free steel cut oats (which I hear are infinitely better than regular cut oats) these are packed full of vitamins and nutrients.
Now that’s a winner if you ask me.
Seriously, skip the store bought bars which are loaded with sugar and all sorts of scary 26 letter ingredients, and make your own vegan gluten free granola bars at home.
If you grab a friend and a bottle of wine, it’s sure to make for a great afternoon!
This super simple vegan gluten free granola bar recipe is packed full of fruit, nuts and full of vitamins and nutrients. Skip the store bought granola bars and make your own at home.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 cups gluten-free steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup figs, chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1/4 cup honey (use agave for vegan version)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a deep baking pan with parchment paper (making sure it goes up the sides of the pan).
- In the baking pan combine the oats, walnuts, almonds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Mix until evenly combined and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a separate bowl combine almond butter, vanilla extract, agave, honey (if using) and coconut oil.
- Pour the baked oats mix into a separate large bowl and add the cranberries, raisins, figs, nutmeg and cinnamon. Toss until evenly combined. Add the mixed up wet ingredients and stir to combine until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back in the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until they are brown around the edges.
- Make sure to cool the mix completely before cutting them into bars. Use a serrated knife to cut them into bars or square. Store bars wrapped up in plastic wrap.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
This post has been shared on Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Inspiration Monday, MIX IT UP MONDAYS, Mostly Homemade Mondays,Natural Living Mondays, , Hot Fun in the Summertime ,, TASTY TUESDAYS ,Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday,Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday Fresh Foods Wednessday , Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Wellness Wednesdays , Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Meals Friday Gluten Free Friday, Get Him Fed Fridays,