This recipe for Asian couscous with salmon combines just a few simple ingredients to make a quick, 15 minute dinner recipe that’s delicious and super healthy.
I love couscous because it cooks so quickly. Or more accurately quickly absorbs boiling water and is ready to meat. Eight minutes and you’re done.
Not sure that can be beat by any other competitor in the grain/starchy food group.
So if you can quickly chop and stir and pan fry the rest of the ingredients you could have this Asian Couscous with Salmon dish on the table within minutes I tell you, minutes.
It’s all about timing and multitasking.
I’m not one of those cooks who cleans as I go along, and take my time to slowly do one thing at a time.
Nope not my style.
If I’m hungry I’m in fast forward mode. My movements are swift, and sleek. I’ve got all the burners on and might even be putting on a bit of a STOMP routine with spoons clanging, veggies chopping, lids clattering, steam hissing; you get the picture.
So when I’m making couscous I know dinner will be ready almost instantly.
With the couscous toasting, at the same time I’m heating up the oil for the salmon steak and throwing those in. While those sizzle and brown I’m adding the water to the couscous and removing it from the stove.
Now I’ve got 7 minutes before the couscous needs fluffing to chop up the veggies and whisk those sauces.
Oh and around the 4 minute mark the salmon needs to be flipped over.
Then everything needs just a gentle toss and your delicious bowl of Asian Couscous with Salmon is readyyyy.
I love simple meals. Don’t get me wrong I love to spend hours on end in the kitchen too, but sometimes a quick dinner meal is what you’re looking for and this Asian couscous with salmon recipe is just that.
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 salmon steaks
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot over medium heat and add couscous. Pan fry until lightly toasted and add the water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 7 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add salmon steaks when sizzling. Cook on each side for a few minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan, drain excess oil on paper towels and cut into large chunks (removing the bones in the process).
- In a small bowl combine sesame oil, gluten-free tamari, and lemon juice for the sauce.
- In a large bowl combine couscous, salmon, sauce, red onions and green onions.