A creamy and fragrant vegan butternut squash curry with spinach coconut and red curry paste. Strong and vibrant flavors of lemongrass, ginger and tamarind really bring the flavors to life.
I love a rich, deep and vibrant Thai based curry. Before spending three months in Thailand I wasn’t even familiar with all the different thai curries. I always just ordered a standard Pad Thai when I went out for Thai food.
And coconut milk is like liquid gold if you ask me. It’s so rich and creamy and incredible mixed in with the curry paste flavors along with freshness of lemongrass, limes, ginger, garlic, red onion. It’s simply the best.
I had made a squash red curry before but this time I wanted to jazz things up a bit and take the dish to the next level. With the help of spinach, peanut butter and tamarind, that has most certainly been achieved.
The tamarind gives it a bit of a sour flavor, think of tamarind as one of those war heads candies from the 90s. Remember those? So a little bit of tamarind goes a long way to give the dish that special uumpth.
The peanut butter I just threw in there for added creamy nuttiness. I might even add a couple more tablespoons next time.
And the spinach? Well that was added for extra health benefits and it balances out the heaviness of the squash nicely.
Oh and did I mention that this vegan butternut squash curry is also gluten-free? Perfect for a meatless Asian themed dinner meal.
A vegan and gluten-free creamy and fragrant butternut squash and spinach coconut curry with red curry paste. Strong and vibrant flavors of lemongrass, ginger and tamarind really bring the flavors to life.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 4 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash (in bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon block of seedless tamarind
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely diced lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (or less depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (use gluten free tamari for vegan version)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 ounces spinach
- lime, juiced and zested
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the squash. Cook for a few minutes until squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside.
- Soak tamarind in three tablespoons hot water for a few minutes. Squeeze the tamarind and rub it with the water to mix it up.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a pan and add red onion, ginger, lemongrass and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Add red curry paste and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add tamarind paste (discarding the fibers) peanut butter and fish sauce. Mix.
- Add one third of the coconut milk. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring constantly and add one third of the coconut milk again. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and add the rest of the coconut milk.
- Add squash and spinach. Cook for a couple minutes.
- Serve garnished with lime juice and zest.
This post has been shared on Melt in Your Mouth Mondays,Inspiration Monday, Mix it up Mondays , Mostly Home Made Mondays , Natural Living Monday , Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays,The Wednesday Roundup, Allergy-Free Wednesdays,, Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday , Pennywise Platter Thursday , Gluten Free Fridays,