A healthy delicious and filling salad made by slowly roasted squash, flavorful wild rice, sharp arugula and a creamy tangy tahini pumpkin coconut cream dressing. You’d never guess that the recipe is both vegan and gluten-free.
Before making this salad I had honestly never tried or made wild rice before.Seemed like as good a time as any to finally give it a shot. Regular white rice has grown old after all these years, so a bit of colorful more exotic rice is a welcome change.
You will need to give this recipe a bit longer to cook. Not sure why, but the wild rice definitely demands more time and you do not want to rush it. Make sure to remove it from heat at just the right time though.
I may have gotten distracted for a few minutes and might have just over cooked the wild rice by just a little bit. Ok, so it was a teeny bit mushy, but I got the gist of it.
The rest of the ingredients in this wild rice squash salad with tahini dressing were perfect though. The squash is soft and tender, while the dressing is creamy, zesty and thick, combining all the flavors into one.
A healthy delicious and filling salad made by slowly roasted squash, flavorful wild rice, sharp arugula and a creamy tangy tahini pumpkin coconut cream dressing. You'd never guess that the recipe is both vegan and gluten-free.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice, rinsed
- 3 cups butternut suqash
- splash of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, diced
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 handfuls arugula
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a bowl combine squash, splash of olive oil, shallots, fresh rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Toss until mixed.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes in a single layer on parchment lined baking sheet, until lightly browned and soft.
- Cook wild rice according to package directions.
- In a bowl combine tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, maple syrup, coconut milk and pumpkin puree. Mix until smooth.
- Combine half of the dressing with the wild rice.
- Serve arugula topped with wild rice, squash and additional remaining dressing.