A creamy vegan and gluten-free pureed parsnip and shiitake mushroom soup with sweet potatoes is rich, hearty and ever so slightly sweet.
I have been eating a lot of soup lately.
But not the good kind. Not the healthy, light, feel good, nourish your body kind of soup. I’ve been eating clam chowder. The heavy cream and milk laden thick chowder.
It seems to be everywhere here on the Northwest coast of the US. It is advertised everywhere and I just can’t help myself.
What I really want though, is some feel good soup. A healthy and nutritious soup that is good for both body and soul.
Well here it is right here folks, my creamy vegan parsnip and shiitake mushroom soup.
Packed full of delicious ingredients including parsnips, shiitake mushrooms, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic and vegetable broth.
Nothing too heavy here. Just feel good ingredients for a winter time meal.
Soup is my ultimate comfort food in the winter time. Even though right now out here in Seattle (where D and I are currently on our US road trip) it’s a mere 55 degrees F and is not quite the winter monstrosity the Northeast is experiencing, it’s still winter and still soup time.
I made this parsnip and shiitake mushroom soup while staying with one of my closest friends in San Fran and loved the strong flavors of both the parsnips and shiitakes in this soup.
First I tried a bowl of it without pureeing it, and then I decided the immersion blender would be best put to work. I enjoyed this parsnip and shiitake mushroom soup more as a pureed creamy soup but that part is entirely up to you.
On a side note can we talk about how I misspell the word parnsip every time? See, just did it again. I keep putting the n before the s.
Doesn’ have quite the same ring as pars-nip.
Either way you spell it, this is a great winter root vegetable that is delicious roasted, and pureed in a soup. Ever so slightly sweet with a very distinct taste, you’ll know you’ve got some parsnips in here right away.
A creamy vegan and gluten-free pureed parsnip and shiitake mushroom soup with sweet potato is rich, hearty and ever so slightly sweet.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 5-6 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 diced sweet potato
- 3 parsnips sliced on diagonal
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat pot over medium heat. Add oil and cook onion until translucent.
- Add shiitake mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes. Add more oil if needed.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato and cook for a few minutes.
- Add parsnips and cook for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until parsnips and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and puree soup with immersion blender, regular blender or food processor.