A comforting hearty bowl of vegan red lentil, sweet potato kale curry is perfect on a cold night. Gluten-Free too. Just brimming with flavor.
I love to eat soups in the winter.
Or just about anything steaming hot, that is perfectly comforting and hearty. Even better if you can scoop it up with a spoon.
And when you need to limit how fast you eat because of how hot the food is.
Since I’ve just recently discovered how wonderful brown rice is (starting in my vegan buffalo crumble salad) I needed to continue to experiment with this filling base.
How about a huge pot of vegan red lentil, sweet potato kale curry?
For a bit of added spice I added in some jalapenos and thai chili paste, because why, not? Sometimes it’s good to feel your mouth really burn with flavor.
As a base I went with my favorite trio, onions, garlic and ginger. A happy bunch right there when they are all reunited in a sizzling pot. From there we’ve got sweet potato, red lentils, baby kale and some chickpeas.
Let’s talk about red lentils. They are simply my favorite lentils. First off they cook super quickly, I mean in minutes.
And now in stew curries too, as I have found out.
I decided to puree half the mixture for a bit of a creamy crunchy texture, the balance of which ends up being perfect. The baby kale adds a bit of refreshing twang to the already very creamy hearty dish.
And the chickpeas? Well those I threw in at the end there, and they seem to mesh well with everything else. Garnish this sweet potato kale curry dish with a bit of scallions or cilantro for the finishing touch, and serve with extra thai chili sauce for additional spice.
For all of you still on the East coast of the US, or anywhere else where Spring still seems to be hiding behind winter, make this sweet potato kale curry asap, and the cold dreary weather will feel just a little bit less painful and miserable.
A comforting hearty bowl of vegan red lentil, sweet potato and kale curry is perfect on a cold night. Gluten-Free too. Just brimming with flavor.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 cup diced onion (1/2 of a large onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalepeno, deseeded, diced
- 1 tablespoon diced ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, (about 2 and 1/2 cups diced)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils, sorted through and rinsed
- 4 ounces baby kale
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- to garnish: chopped scallions, cilantro and thai chili sauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- Heat pot over medium heat add olive oil. Cook onion for a few minutes until translucent. Add jalapeno, garlic, ginger and cook for a few minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, cook for a few minutes.
- Add two cups vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cook for a few minutes.
- Add red lentils, and cook until red lentils are cooked through (about 6-10 minutes)
- Add half of the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Add baby kale and cook until just wilted, a couple minutes.
- Served over brown rice, topped with chickpeas and garnished with scallions, cilantro, and extra thai chili sauce.