Gratin vegan recipe with zucchini and squash gratin makes for a perfect light veggie filled dinner. Topped with a home made vegan Parmesan cheese crumble. Gluten-Free.
I mean ok, we all know it’s obviously not exactly real cheese, but it’s as close to the real thing as a vegan or dairy free eater is going to get.
And the way I see it, if you have to give up dairy for dietary or personal reasons you shouldn’t have to give up that texture and taste profile entirely.
So while vegan Parm will never quite replace the real thing, you can duplicate that crumbly grated texture and taste.
Now where would a cheesey Parmesan cheese be great? Gratin.
I love gratin based dishes. When I was growing up my mom had her own classic mushroom gratin that she made with sauteed mushrooms, onions, a mixture of sour cream and mayo, all to be topped by a generous sprinkling of grated sharp cheddar.
Delicious but not quite vegan friendly.
With that recipe as my inspiration I decided to come up with my own vegan recipe with zucchini and squash gratin.
You simply need to mandolin slice the zucchini and sweet potato. Careful – watch out – don’t get into too much of a groove and take your eye off of that super sharp blade.
It is easy to get right into a nice little rhythm with that thing.
Then you toss the paper thin veggie slices with some oil, garlic, herbs, and vegan Parm and start neatly layering everything into a casserole or baking dish.
Now I’ve never been quite the careful organized person or the perfectionist so naturally my layering and spacing is far from perfect.
I happen to also be somewhat impatient which also prevents the zucchini sweet potato ratio from being in perfect equilibrium.
But hey, it’s your dish so make it work however you want to. Sprinkle with the remaining vegan Parm on top toss into the oven. Bake, broil and that’s it. Your delicious vegan recipe with zucchini and squash is ready for sampling.
A truly delicious light dish that embraces the fresh veggie flavor while complementing it with a nice crumb topping.
Vegan zucchini and squash gratin makes for a perfect light veggie filled dinner. Topped with a home made vegan parmesan cheese crumble. Gluten-Free.
15 minPrep Time
27 minCook Time
42 minTotal Time
- 2 green zucchini, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini, sweet potatoes, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt and 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan cheese.
- In a round casserole pan or baking dish, layer zucchini and sweet potato evenly. Top with 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Broil on high for 2-5 minutes or until top is browned and crispy.