Super simple, requiring only five minutes of prep, broiled pesto chicken thighs with mushroom and zucchini that are tossed in a light pesto marinade and tossed into the oven. Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free.
First off Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! Naturally just like so many others out there I consider my dad the best, and so am specifically wishing him the happiest of days!
Just like on pretty much any holiday or special occasion my family congregates around the kitchen tables for food and drinks. Today that included a breakfast egg skillet for breakfast, a newly created pasta recipe for lunch and these broiled pesto chicken thighs with veggie for dinner.
My usual go to chicken thigh recipe is broiled chicken thighs with artichoke hearts, but it was time for a bit of a change. I used to be all about the chicken breasts, but that has changed in recent years and now I’m all into the fattier, heartier parts — thighs, drumsticks, wings, all those parts seem to be so much more flavorful to me now.
And since I already know I love chicken thighs broiled, I figured I would keep that factor a constant.
My other favorite ingredient — well that we all know is pesto. Especially my home made vegan basil pesto. Seriously my favorite.
And since we all know I love to add pesto to just about any dish, I knew it would work wonderfully as a marinade for both the chicken and the veggies.
Toss those up together along with a bit of garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and that’s it. Throw that under the broiler and just wait patiently for dinner to be ready in 20 minutes, with minimal clean up required.
I love a simply prepared meal that ends up delicious as well as nutritious. Both gluten-free and dairy-free these pesto chicken thighs and veggies make for a perfect weeknight dinner after a busy work day.
That lightly crisped up chicken along with mushrooms and zucchini with a bit of char and color of them is just perfect if you ask me.
Super simple, requiring only five minutes of prep, broiled chicken thigh with mushroom and zucchini that are tossed in a light pesto marinade and tossed into the oven. Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, rinsed, dried and each piece cut into 3 segments
- 1/4 cup vegan basil pesto
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Preheat broiler to high.
- In a bowl combine pesto with garlic, oil and lemon juice. Mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine mushrooms, zucchini and half the pesto mix. Toss until mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In separate bowl combine chicken thighs and remaining pesto mix. Mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Line baking sheets with aluminum foil and place chicken and vegetables in single layer.
- Broil on high for 20 minutes, on the top (or second to top) shelf, keeping an eye on everything to make sure it doesn't burn.