A light and hearty southwest salmon salad for dinner with a twist, from the red onions, black beans, and creamy avocado cilantro dressing. Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
I spent last week in Myrtle Beach with college friends, quite possibly a group of some of my most favorite people on the entire planet. As always it was an adventure. Lots of eating, even more drinking and an endless amount of laughing, paired with ridiculous behavior quite unbecoming of a whole group of people in their late twenties.
Well one thing is for certain, I’m not planning on acting my age anytime soon, and I’m not alone in that.
After a full week of daily BLTs and pretty much a 30 rack of beer each, it’s time for my monthly (or is it now bi-weekly) detox.
Think greens, and water. Lots and lots of both.
What I’m not going to do though, is torture myself with boring uber healthy meals that are no good.
Nope, not going to work.
If I’m eating salads they will be delicious and packed full of awesome healthy fats and delicious made from scratch dressings.
Up next is this southwest salmon salad with crunchy romaine, crisp red onions, meaty black beans and a creamy gooey herby avocado cilantro dressing.
The key is to go for the salmon steaks instead of the fillet. So much more flavor, even though you do have to do a bit of work and remove those bones. Totally worth it though, promise.
Make sure though to throw that salmon into a sizzling hot pan with the oil heated up too. You want to hear that pop when the salmon touches the pan. It’s got to be really hot so that you get a nice char on each side. This will crisp up and create the perfect coating for the fish.
For the dressing just through the ingredients into the food processor and let it do all the work. Whirrrr and you’ve got yourself a batch of homemade dressing that will blow your mind.
This is the indulgent salad that will make you forget that you’re actively making healthy eating choices. It’s just that good.
A light and hearty salmon salad for dinner with a southwestern twist, from the red onions, black beans, and creamy avocado cilantro dressing. Gluten Free and Dairy Free
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-4 salmon steaks (1 and 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- For the dressing:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt to taste,
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil over medium heat. Wash and dry salmon steaks and sprinkle with salt to taste, cumin and smoked paprika on both sides, rubbing the spices in.
- Once oil is hot (but not yet smoking) add the salmon steaks and cook until browned on each side (5-6 minutes).
- In a food processor combine the dressing ingredients, avocado, coconut milk, water, cilantro, garlic, salt, and lime juice. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl toss romaine with red onions,black beans and dressing.
- Top with salmon.