A light vegan and gluten-free friendly dip made with pureed hearts of palm, artichokes and pesto. A creamy and hearty heart of palm dip that makes for the perfect appetizer. With under 200 calories per serving this dip provides you with over 7 grams of protein and 6 grams of dietary fiber.
So remember the other week how I said I was on a hearts of palm kick? Well that has continued. This time past salads.
That wasn’t enough for me. I wanted to come up with something more hearty. A dip seemed perfect.
Back in my college days when no one was doing calorie counting or cared at all about nutrition my roommates and I used to love making spinach and artichoke dip.
Half a pound of cream cheese and lots of grated cheese later, it’s no surprise we were all a solid 10-15 pounds overweight, even on our best days.
Luckily, with time I’ve discovered a little secret.
Healthy nutritious cooking doesn’t have to be any less delicious than all that cheesey greasy goodness.
Nope, you actually can have your cake and eat it too.
Just need to make the necessary ingredient adjustments, and you can actually eat yummy food that you and your body feel good about.
Trust me it took a solid few years to come to this conclusion. Does everyone in college treat their body like a walking trash can or just my gals and I? Hopefully this is a period in time everyone goes through.
Now that I am past it though (well outside of those annual friend reunions where we all revert back to our 18 year old habits and behaviors), I’ve found tons of awesome recipes that I love.
This heart of palm dip right here instead of cream cheese, mayo and cheese, is completely vegan – made creamy by pureeing lightly charred artichokes, hearts of palm, pesto, nutritional yeast and hemp seeds together.
The broiling of the veggie first, gets them that nice smoky flavor, for even more character.
The nutritional yeast adds in that creamy component, and the hemp seeds a slightly nutty one. My vegan basil Pesto ties everything in this heart of palm dip together with the fresh herbs.
This heart of palm dip is high in both protein and dietary fiber – coming it at over 6 grams each, per serving. Best of all it is creamy and delicious, perfect for dipping crackers, bread, veggies, you name it.
For your next grown up get together make this heart of palm dip and I promise everyone is bound to love it.
A light vegan and gluten-free friendly dip made with pureed hearts of palm, artichokes and pesto. A creamy and hearty dip that makes for the perfect appetizer.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- 15 ounce can hearts of palm, drained and roughly cut up
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (divided)
- 6 tablespoons vegan basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat broiled to high.
- In a large bowl combine artichokes, hearts of palm, 4 cloves minced garlic and 2 tablespoons pesto. Toss.
- Broil on high for 10-15 minutes in single layer on aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Mix, occasionally making sure it does not burn.
- In a food processor combine broiled veggie, with 2 cloves minced garlic, 4 tablespoons pesto, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, oil and salt to taste. Process until everything is chopped up but not completely smooth.
- Spread into a baking dish and top with panko breadcrumbs. Broil on high for 5-10 minutes or until dip is browned.
Recipe Adapted from Jeanette's Healthy Living